News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can anyone identify the equipment that A1 Telephone uses?

Started by bellsystem, June 28, 2017, 01:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vacuumlad1650

Actually, I was referencing these ends he puts on original line cords.
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

Vacuumlad1650

As I do not want to crimp a regular RJ11 plug onto those original cords. This appears removable.
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

mariepr

Quote from: Vacuumlad1650 on January 21, 2018, 04:49:20 PM
As I do not want to crimp a regular RJ11 plug onto those original cords. This appears removable.

You might consider a spade-to-modular adapter as shown here:

https://www.oldphoneworks.com/oem-ae-spade-to-modular-adapter.html

TelePlay

Quote from: mariepr on January 21, 2018, 05:04:13 PM
You might consider a spade-to-modular adaptor as shown here:
https://www.oldphoneworks.com/oem-ae-spade-to-modular-adapter.html

Ah, or these which provide the ability to put a long modular cord between the adapter and the wall jack if the phone line cord is not long enough to make the connection

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-RJ11-6P4C-Telephone-Phone-Line-White-Modular-Surface-Mount-Box/112007938868

AE_Collector

I thought we had a topic somewhere showing pictures of this.

Put this type of Jacks on the end of the phones cord so you don't have to cut off the spades. Many of these old cords would be very difficult to crimp an RJ plug into anyway. Then use a double ended modular cord to connect this jack to the wall jack. As John says you get the advantage of using a 6" cord, a 25' cord or any length in between.

Those little tiny plugs would be nice if you can locate them and if the spades push into the plug to avoid cutting them off. Meanwhile, this set up is much easier to obtain.

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: Vacuumlad1650 on January 21, 2018, 04:48:11 PM
Actually, I was referencing these ends he puts on original line cords.

This is called a "wire plug." It is designed for terminating solid copper wires. It isn't designed for spade-tipped cords. It uses insulation displacement rather than screw terminals.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Ahh, good to know....thanks.

So while one could likely get these to work on tinsel set cords, the connection could be flakey and ruining the spades on old colour keyed phone cords isn't really a good idea.

Terry

Jack Aman

There's a whiff of elitism in some of these remarks, and that's unfortunate.  A few things to keep in mind:  There are people who love the look, feel, nostalgia, and experience of the old phones just like we do, but lack the skill to undertake repairs and/or restorations..  The videos ARE often interesting, and people clearly enjoy them.  I have seen this guy effect some really useful repairs and restorations.  I'm thinking without without his service, some great old phones would have ended up in landfills.   Who cares what he calls a dial?  He knows how to "clean, oil, and adjust" and thereby, to preserve them. Surely, there's room in the hobby for all kinds, right?

Vacuumlad1650

I get those jacks by the dozen! I had wanted to find those modular plugs he uses just so save from having an extra jack flopping around...
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on January 21, 2018, 06:28:00 PM
This is called a "wire plug." It is designed for terminating solid copper wires. It isn't designed for spade-tipped cords. It uses insulation displacement rather than screw terminals.

Even knowing what they are called turned up an empty search for them. They must be old school, no longer available, or discontinued when inventory ran out - not made anymore.

Given what you said, I see no difference in mounting them than actually crimping a modular plug onto the line.

Starting with the larger throat cloth cord modular plug (and even enlarging it carefully for a really fat line cord if need be) and crimping the leads into the plug would be doing the same damage or the same result of using a wire plug (cutting off original spades).

The only difference is the crimped plug would look cleaner and being shorter (doesn't stick out from the wall plug where it could be busted off by furniture movement) would have a longer life span.

TelePlay

Quote from: Jack Aman on January 21, 2018, 06:45:43 PM
There's a whiff of elitism in some of these remarks, and that's unfortunate.

MODERATOR NOTE:  Please tell me where you read this. I read all recent posts for such and missed it.

Now, if you are referring to the topic and replies prior to Reply #12, please keep in mind that all of those post were made by people who are no longer members of the forum due to the more than a "whiff of elitism" displayed by them in hundreds of posts starting around July 1st of 2017.

The most recent discussion was a revival of an old topic and dealt with the test equipment and subsequent identification of line word wiring. I found nothing elitist in any of the post from #12 to this one.

If I missed something, let me know. Just trying to set the record straight in any "whiff" you might have detected was dealt with more than 6  months ago, when the topic went dead until the past day or two.

Nothing wrong or bad or offensive with your comment if you are referring the to topic and it's first 11 replies. You may have just missed the revival of an old topic thinking that was all said in the past few days. This was one of the topics that was right on the line as to keeping it or deleting it. It was kept due to some of the good information written in the early posts.

Feel free to PM me of you want the full story.

=============================

BTW:  As a fellow member, I found many of his videos interesting in one way or another - learning some things and disagreeing with others, but, hey, "it's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun" (Doug Rose).

And now I know what a wire plug is/was. Never saw one of those before.

AE_Collector

I initially thought he may have been referring to me since I was implying that it would be wrong to chop off the spades. But then instead I suspected it was comments made in the video itself which I haven't watched. But...you are likely correct John, stuff said by the Non Members.

Terry

Jack Aman

The posts I was bothered by were old...didn't realize this was a revival of an old thread. They were made by "guest" posters too.  Thanks for straightening me out.

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on January 21, 2018, 07:13:51 PM
Even knowing what they are called turned up an empty search for them. They must be old school, no longer available, or discontinued when inventory ran out - not made anymore.

Part #700A4:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pieces-Commscope-AT-T-Lucent-103941464-700A4-RJ-11-Modular-Plug-Non-Crimp/232586120294
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.