News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this AE hardware?

Started by markosjal, December 16, 2016, 01:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I was looking at this (and other like it from  same seller)
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-567766325-telefono-antiguo-de-disco-_JM

this is about 30 USD with shipping

If someone knows these models,  would I get a useful network that might work in  something else? Might buy for hanset and dial parts anyway 30 bucks for some spare AE parts but there are siilar units listed by same seller too.

Maybe it is just using some AE Parts?

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

poplar1

It is a standard Automatic Electric 3-line set. The 3 red buttons are for placing a holding bridge on any of 3 lines. A Key system isn't needed.

You could find the same network in a cheaper AE single line set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

I am sure I could in USA, not in Mexico

HarrySmith

Seems like a lot of money for that model. I have seen them much cheaper.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

What is the current exchange rate....8 Peso to the US$? So $25 US? <edit> YIKES 20.5 Peso to the US$ ...I am out of touch! Too busy watching our CDN$ drop against the US$. So an AE 187 for $10 US.

It is an AE 187. Nice older model (except for the colour) with chromed metal cradle (plastic came later) and color matching line cord. Just needs a faceplate. Will likely have an AE single gong ringer inside as well.

Terry

Babybearjs

don't buy it.... wait till someone has one here in the US. the 187's  are still out there.... I have a few myself....
John

markosjal

Exchange rate is 20 to one so it is 10 bucks plus shipping.

One in the USA would then require me to get it to mexico

markosjal

Looks like same seller has one with ringer box here

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-572179881-telefono-antiguo-de-disco-_JM

same price too!

might be worth it for the ringer

The writing on ringer translates to "High Impedance Ringer"

AE_Collector

Doesn't look like an AE ringer to me but the 187 has a colored cord with spades and the connecting blocks so that is a plus. No face plate is a minus though.
Cheap enough if the shipping isn't too bad.

Terry

markosjal

Is there any issue making these work with ATAs?

what is the probability of finding faceplates?

I am really thinking about making these my home office phones if I can use three lines with each phone and connect them to ATAs. I have rotary dial ATAs and I can connect to Cell channels, PSTN  and VOIP with no problem on my end.

would these be the same (excuse me in advance AECollector) , crapy staticy stuff that I have become so accustomed to with AE single line phones or were these made a little better?

these probably need external power for blinky lights as well .

poplar1

Quote from: markosjal on May 15, 2017, 03:53:46 PM

The incoming lines have neon lamps that light up with 90 VAC ringing current...don't know if they will light up with ATA ringing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Quote from: markosjal on May 15, 2017, 03:53:46 PM
would these be the same (excuse me in advance AECollector) , crapy staticy stuff that I have become so accustomed to with AE single line phones or were these made a little better?

No appolgies necessary.....except maybe from AE regarding the 80E telephone set.

These 187's were made when good phones were still the norm. Illumination needs just a small 10VAC power supply. Presumably you could use anything that produces around 10 volts AC or DC. There is no magic involved. Plus and minus in on pair 7 to each phone. To display Line busy signals from other phones in the system a single lead is strapped between each similar (other phones don't necessarily have the same lines in the same order on them) line appearance on other phones. The ring of pair 2, 4 & 6 is the lamp lead for lines 1, 2 & 3.

I don't think that I have spare faceplates around here. I may have spare paper mats for under the faceplates. They must exist out there somewhere. Could probably make your own plates from 1/8" plexi.

Terry

markosjal

So another seller has now posted this
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-580733294-telefonos-antiguos-cu-_JM

These look like they lack * and # or are worn off?

Would be worth knowing about availability of replacement keypads. ANnyone know a model number for these?

rdelius

AE made some pulse dial pads for rotary circuits and left the extra buttons blank

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: markosjal on June 03, 2017, 10:25:11 AM
So another seller has now posted this
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-580733294-telefonos-antiguos-cu-_JM

These look like they lack * and # or are worn off?

Would be worth knowing about availability of replacement keypads. ANnyone know a model number for these?
They may LOOK worn off but it's highly unlikely they actually ARE worn off.  TT pads from major manufacturers always used "double injection molding" where the legends go all the way through the key and cannot wear off. 

Add to that the fact that the * and # keys are used at a fraction of the rate of the 1-0 keys and would be the last ones to wear off even on a cheap hot stamped keypad.  See rdelius' reply for the most likely explanation.