News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rose 302

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 18, 2014, 07:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

A local collector of stuff has a rose metal 302 for sale.  He showed it to me a few weeks ago, but we didn't agree on a price.  I was hesitant to pay much because the paint is very faded, and there are many spots of something on the shell.  I am not sure if it is corrosion of just very stubborn dirt.  What do you think?

Thank You

Larry

Mr. Bones

Larry,

If his price factors in the cost of a total repaint, or powdercoating, then I would take it home. If not, I would sadly walk away... just one man's opinion. Desirable, rare, but need$ lot$a lovin'. I'd personally snatch right up on it, but only for the price I was willing to pay. ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Larry, are the plungers painted rose? What's the date on the phone?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 18, 2014, 07:13:05 AM
A local collector of stuff has a rose metal 302 for sale.  He showed it to me a few weeks ago, but we didn't agree on a price.  I was hesitant to pay much because the paint is very faded, and there are many spots of something on the shell.  I am not sure if it is corrosion of just very stubborn dirt.  What do you think?

Thank You

Larry
What are the data on the set?  Markings, dates?    The handset looks correct, brown Bakelite without grooves.  Finger wheel appears correct for certain prewar 40s sets. We know there was a rose tone at that time. Is there a marking on bottom ?

LarryInMichigan

QuoteWhat are the data on the set?  Markings, dates?    The handset looks correct, brown Bakelite with grooves.  Finger wheel appears correct for certain prewar 40s sets. We know there was a rose tone at that time. Is there a marking on bottom ?

I do not recall, but I was 99% convinced that the phone was authentic when I saw it.

Larry

poplar1

Ivory, Rose, Pekin Red, Blue and Gray-Green painted metal sets were manufactured only until late 1940. After that time, these colors were made from thermoplastic, while the metallic colors (statuary bronze, old brass, oxidized silver and dark gold) were still painted metal.

Stainless steel finger wheel and white cases were standard on the 4J (1937) and early 5J dials (1937-1940). By Jan. 1941, with the introduction of color thermoplastic sets,  clear Lucite finger wheels were used on 5Js  for ivory, pekin red, old rose, gray green, and blue sets. The metallic color sets continued to have 5H dials--with finger wheels and casings painted to match the phones.

By 8-5-42, new color phones were "manufacture discontinued" until 1949.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

I would think that the paint could be hiding a very nice original color underneath the faded surface, and could only need a little compound. Not quite sure about the handset though...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

The set looks perfectly legit, before knowing any markings, and probably is a rather rare find.
I am sure the surface artifacts are corrosion. Zinc blossoms on the surface creating very hard oxide or carbonate elevations, when removed there is usually a pit in the metal. I would just leave it as is, not polish the paint away too much, as the extent of corrosion doesn't appear very extensive. Perhaps you can color match it with touch-up paint in the areas.

PS: Interesting that the rose color is faded quite a bit and unevenly too.  It makes sense I guess that the top (handset) is faded the most. This is quite similar to the Old Rose colored plastic sets of the 50s which fade variously, much more so than the other colors. Given the light hue, light probably penetrates the paint layers (or plastic) deeper and causes more damage.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 18, 2014, 03:55:50 PM
QuoteWhat are the data on the set?  Markings, dates?    The handset looks correct, brown Bakelite without grooves.  Finger wheel appears correct for certain prewar 40s sets. We know there was a rose tone at that time. Is there a marking on bottom ?

I do not recall, but I was 99% convinced that the phone was authentic when I saw it.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Learn something new all the time here. I was not aware that they painted early metal sets in colors other than the metallics. I would have passed !

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

How far apart are you?  I would not go crazy, but if you are not too far apart I might be a little flexible.  The time to buy a complete painted rose 302 is when you see it.  I agree that it will probably not clean up very nicely (Red fades more easily than other colors), and that significantly affects the value, but not as much as it would for a more common phone.   You have a bunch of "pretty" phones.  You would be buying this because you will be the only kid on your block with a complete 1940 painted rose 302.  You can always upgrade when you find a nicer example.  If you do buy it I would clean it up but I would not restore it.  The amount of restoration needed to make this one look good would undermine it's value.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

The phone appears to come with original cords even.  I am peeking at the 4-prong connector, and am wondering if that still is a 283A, the predecessor to the B version.   It appears to be a dash 9 color.  I still have not figured out at which time the transition occurred. Perhaps someone with a no. 10 catalog might be able to tell.

LarryInMichigan

He is asking $80.  I think that I had offered him $40 and then $50.  If it looked good in person, I would have gladly paid his price.

Larry

Sargeguy

I would buy it at that price. If you don't want it, buy it for me and I'll send you the $!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 19, 2014, 10:17:59 PM
He is asking $80.  I think that I had offered him $40 and then $50.  If it looked good in person, I would have gladly paid his price.

Larry

I think it's worth that.  But I would first examine it, to look for dates.  I believe everything on that phone should point to 1939 or 1940.

LarryInMichigan

I will try to give the seller a call tomorrow.  He is about 5 miles from here.

Larry