News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

616 acting up How to repair?

Started by bushman, August 16, 2013, 11:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I got all of my house wired for the new phone system. Pulled 2 cat5 cables out to the shop.  landed them to a 66 block. Wired from the 66 block to the 616. That gave me 8 extensions for the different rooms in the house. Everything has been working fine. Last night system went down. I went out to the shop to check. The day lamp was not on. I switched the 616 off waited 15 minutes and switched it back on. Power lamp comes on but after a few seconds of "booting" I normally hear the relays click in. Not now. While researching on the internet I heard the relays click on and off a few times and then stayed on. Worked fine. That was two days ago. This morning I checked it and the system was down again. Power lamp on but no day lamp. Hitting reset button doesn't do it either. Any ideas on how to fix this or who to check with for repair.

thanks
Bushman

Doug Rose

Pull the battery strap and have it default....Doug
Kidphone

bushman

I guess I forgot to mention that I tried that also.

Bushman

Phonesrfun

Probably bad news.  However, there are a couple things to check.  First check that you have a good steady power source, which you probably do.  Make sure the ground in the receptical is actually grounded and not open.

Second, check your CAT5 wiring.  Make sure threr are no crosses between any wire to any other wire.  Particularly pair 2, which is the outer pair in any of thr RJ11 plugs.  Pair 2 can only be used on their electronic proprietary phones.  Pair 2 cannot be in contact with any of the other line wires, and pair 2 cannot be shorted, ever.

Third, check to see that any analog phone connected via modular plugs DO NOT have the line cord yellow or black (pair 2) wires connected to anything.  Either tape the ends separately or snip the ends off.

Lastly, take the cover off and look at the power supply boards in the lower section and make sure the fuses are good.  This is the most unlikely cause.

If it isn't power, related, fuse, station wiring or cord wiring, then it could be toast.  I have not heard of anyone who works on them.
-Bill G

poplar1

I agree with what Doug and Bill have stated. The only thing I can add is that it might be easier to unplug all the incoming lines and stations then start over with just one analog phone with a 2-conductor modular cord, or as Bill said, with the yellow and black of the line cord not connected or shorted inside the phone. If the system works with one phone, then try adding more extensions and the outside lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Owain

Backup battery could be dead and it's not remembering its configuration properly, so the booting up process crashes.

It being still quite Modern Technology, the people here might have more idea:
http://sundance-communications.com/forum/ultimatebb.php

But I suspect mains power problems - it shoudln't reboot continuously anyway. These things are designed to run for about 15 years without interruption (ya hear that Microsoft?!?)

JorgeAmely

If the battery is not present, they boot up correctly. That's how I have used mine for years. It just defaults to a standard configuration.
Jorge

bushman

well the good news is that I wired everything to a punchdown panel in the house and tested with a tester before the 616 was brought on line. I also built all of the wires from the 66 block to the 616 in the shop and only used the first pair. The bad news is it is still only powering up. No relay clicks. Went ahead and removed it and installed my 308 and everything is fine. I am gonna open it up and check the fuses and look for anything obvious after it has set a while to make sure the capacitors are discharged. Switching it on and off with it unplugged of course). Does anyone know where I might get a schematic for these.

Bushman

twocvbloke

Quote from: bushman on August 16, 2013, 06:15:36 PMDoes anyone know where I might get a schematic for these.

I haven't a clue about that, but if you can find one, let us know cos I for one want to figure out the battery backup port to see if I can wire up my own backup supply for my 616... :D

bushman

twocvbloke

Hmm, doesn't really say much about the backup supply, I just wish I could find the proper one (KX-A16) to use with my 616... :D

Still, that's a pretty useful manual though... :)

G-Man

If I recall correctly, the back-up power supply is simply two standard 12-volt gel cells connected in series for a combined 24-volt output.

The most challenging item would be finding the proper DIN connector to plug it into the KSU.

Perhaps someone else can verify as to whether my memory of this is correct.

G-Man

Correction, I thought you were referring to the battery backup for power failures and not the memory battery.

The memory battery is easy to find since it was also used for cordless telephones.

In fact, I have matched-up the specs of a common cordless battery and simply cut-off and re-spliced the pigtail with the KSU connector when I was unable to immediately find one locally.

twocvbloke

Quote from: G-Man on August 17, 2013, 12:13:48 AM
Correction, I thought you were referring to the battery backup for power failures

I was... :D

The proper piece of kit is a Panasonic KX-A16, but I found a pic of the guts of one, and it looks to be a little bit more than what I thought it'd be in there... ???

But that's a while other topic... :D

TelePlay

Quote from: G-Man on August 17, 2013, 12:08:01 AM
If I recall correctly, the back-up power supply is simply two standard 12-volt gel cells connected in series for a combined 24-volt output.

The most challenging item would be finding the proper DIN connector to plug it into the KSU.

I tried to find the battery locally, at BatteriesPlus, but the one they had was too big for the opening in the 616. It also had the wrong connector.

The battery pack is 2.4 Volts and I found them on the web at

http://tinyurl.com/ltogz2q

under the battery ID item number TEL0710. Or at

https://www.batterytex.com/product/detail/PANASONIC/616-systems/2-1_3aa-c

for a buck less, both a bit less, with shipping, than what they wanted at BatteriesPlus and the TEL0710 has the correct connector.