"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic 616-Current Setup as display

Started by WesternElectricBen, May 04, 2013, 12:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on May 04, 2013, 10:29:52 PM
Yeah, it's confusing that they have separate programming setups for basically the same thing, but I guess it's a a case of "If one doesn't work, try the other"... :D

Yea, it worked but it might be the wrong manual so I'l have to try the ones you supplied me. Those should work...

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 05, 2013, 09:12:17 AM
Ah ok. I don''t keep it on when I'm not using it but would propping it up against the wall help? Vertically?  

Thanks,
Ben
Seems to me someone in one of the messages here on the Panasonic made a wooden stand for it to hold it vertically. Problem is the baffles in it are made to pass air form the bottom to the top by convection, and of course, this won't cool properly if sitting on its back. So, even propping it against the wall will help. Too bad you don't have a location where you could mount it against the wall - even if only temporary, you would put it in a sheet of plywood, and hang it like a picture :-)

Anything would be better than having it set flat on a surface. Mine is correctly mounted on a wall for display, but that is fairly permanent.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

As an FYI, should it ever be needed by anyone, here is a link to the installation and instruction manual for a 308 or 616 S-DBS unit, one that uses one or two 25 pair Amphenol connector and cables respectively to hook that style of PBX to an external punch down block.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/TELECOM-F-R/Panasonic%20DBS%20308-616%20installation.pdf

There is a 61610 for sale on eBay now with pictures that use standard modular plugs for all 16 lines but the seller included this link, wrong for this unit, but a good reference should anyone want to or have to deal with one of these as a help for unit installation and programming.

Either that or the pictures are wrong and if anyone buys the unit, they will be in for a surprise when opening the box. Priced a bit high to sell, IMHO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111065820706

AE_Collector

A nice plywood backboard with a base attached as a foot leaving a bit of an airspace would be good. Then cut a handhold into the upper edge of the plywood and you have a permanent portable stand to mount it on.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on May 05, 2013, 12:21:41 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 05, 2013, 09:12:17 AM
Ah ok. I don''t keep it on when I'm not using it but would propping it up against the wall help? Vertically?  

Thanks,
Ben
Seems to me someone in one of the messages here on the Panasonic made a wooden stand for it to hold it vertically. Problem is the baffles in it are made to pass air form the bottom to the top by convection, and of course, this won't cool properly if sitting on its back. So, even propping it against the wall will help. Too bad you don't have a location where you could mount it against the wall - even if only temporary, you would put it in a sheet of plywood, and hang it like a picture :-)

Anything would be better than having it set flat on a surface. Mine is correctly mounted on a wall for display, but that is fairly permanent.

Dave

I was actualy initially thinking that ad was going to do it this summer when I get some money and time...

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 05, 2013, 01:46:08 PM
I was actualy initially thinking that ad was going to do it this summer when I get some money and time...
Hi Ben:

Thinking back to some of the scrounging I did when I was younger, you might try taking a tour of construction sites in your area - I would be surprised if you couldn't find a good piece of plywood to make a stand out of out of their garbage. Small pieces of ply like that are often thrown out by contractors, even brand new.

You would then just have to find the time to put something together....

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on May 05, 2013, 03:00:32 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 05, 2013, 01:46:08 PM
Hi Ben:

Thinking back to some of the scrounging I did when I was younger, you might try taking a tour of construction sites in your area - I would be surprised if you couldn't find a good piece of plywood to make a stand out of out of their garbage. Small pieces of ply like that are often thrown out by contractors, even brand new.

You would then just have to find the time to put something together....

Dave

Thats a good point I'l run across to the dumpster and see what  I can find. Thank you!
Ben

HarrySmith

Since my workspace is the dining room table I have mine propped in a chair! I also removed the cover so I can access the ports easily.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 05, 2013, 05:23:28 PM
Since my workspace is the dining room table I have mine propped in a chair! I also removed the cover so I can access the ports easily.

Thats what I was thinking of doing just propping it up. I don't shut the door I just close it but it doesn't lock shut.
Ben

TelePlay

Anyone looking for a "cheap" KX-T7130 to program their 616, three BIN units were just listed on eBay at $30 plus $13. Less than half of the average price of these on eBay. Other than catching the listing on eBay, I know nothing about them, their condition or their quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121213876855

twocvbloke

They look pretty reasonable to me, just need a clean and a new cheatsheet for the function buttons... :)

Jim Stettler

I used to have a 616 set up out of the way, and used 25' mod cords to reach the phones. I had another in my phone shed that was set-up with modular 66 blocks that ran to wall jacks, I used 4-4 port wall jacks (3 pair and had these spread out in the 8x12 shed each port was a different extension.
I used 2 cond mod cords from the ksu to the blocks.

The next incarnation will be with modular patch panels. I plan on combining sets of  6 ports together, 4 for outputs and the other 2 for inputs, these allows me to have up to 3 lines per jack or 1-2 lines and lamp power. I plan on ganging at least 20 sets of 6 ports together.

The other end will be at my display shelves. I will have 4 ports per shelf (home run to separate ports to the  patch panel) then patched together with each shelf (4 ports) being a seperate extension.  On 2 shelves per shelving unit will be 110 power.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

I actually have all the wires and I could wire in jacks (4 prong, or modular, or hard wire) to my display. It would be very convenient and run those lines to the ksu.

But I do not own the house, I'm not sure how crazy my dad would be about all this wire being ran.

Ben

Jim Stettler

At my last place most of my wiring was ran as temp in the unfinished part of the basement, most of my jacks were baseboard jacks with the wiring angling down thru the edge of the baseplate of the wall to the basement. When I moved I removed all the temp wire and spackled the holes.

There are lots of places to discreetly hide wire if you need to.
On newer homes with carpet there is typically a space  between the tack strip and baseplate of the wall, with a little finesse you can get multiple cables tucked into the space and can also drop down into a lower level. you can also hide it in closets and behind interior trim. 
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Jim S. on November 15, 2013, 01:05:22 AM
At my last place most of my wiring was ran as temp in the unfinished part of the basement, most of my jacks were baseboard jacks with the wiring angling down thru the edge of the baseplate of the wall to the basement. When I moved I removed all the temp wire and spackled the holes.

There are lots of places to discreetly hide wire if you need to.
On newer homes with carpet there is typically a space  between the tack strip and baseplate of the wall, with a little finesse you can get multiple cables tucked into the space and can also drop down into a lower level. you can also hide it in closets and behind interior trim. 
Jim

Yes, I have mounted a couple baseboard jacks in my room both 4 prong and modular. Though, hiding under carpet would be nice, but the trim is so tight and the old carpet is very stiff.

Ben