News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought a 1991 Bell Phone Booth

Started by ....., August 21, 2015, 12:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up this 1991 Bell phone booth along with a 1975 Centurion pay phone and a double sided sign on Wednesday. When I opened the phone I found $1.35 in change under the cash box. The fellow I bought it from said that he didn't have a key for the phone. I just happen to have one from my other Centurion pay phone. He told me that he had it in his back yard for about 12 years. His kids use to play in it. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but my grandkids will have some fun with it. It needs a little TLC.

Jim Stettler

I am guessing that it was intended to be wheel chair accessible. I haven't  seen a "full" booth that new or that large. Pretty cool find.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Quote from: Jim S. on August 21, 2015, 12:59:08 PM
I am guessing that it was intended to be wheel chair accessible. I haven't  seen a "full" booth that new or that large. Pretty cool find.
Jim

I believe you are right. Thanks.

Doug

Jim Stettler

That is very cool. I assumed "full" booths went away because of wheelchair access. I didn't realize they made ANY wheelchair booths. I think you have an very scarce booth. You did the hobby proud by saving that example.
Thanks,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kimball321

When I was in Toronto last May I saw several payphones all Millenniums in full booths that were the same model as this one although most of the booths did not have doors and they all had the current Bell logo.  On a somewhat related note does anyone know if the older Nortel Centurion payphones have had smart boards fitted or are they still CO controlled phones?  Also if they are dumb phones do they still offer long distance coin calls via ACTS?  I ask these 2 questions because when I was in Toronto and Windsor I did not see one Centurion only Millenniums and a couple COCOTS.  Sorry if most of this is off topic but this is something I have been wondering for quite some time.
I collect payphones :)

NikeTelephone

Quote from: Autonut on August 21, 2015, 12:27:01 PM
I picked up this 1991 Bell phone booth along with a 1975 Centurion pay phone and a double sided sign on Wednesday. When I opened the phone I found $1.35 in change under the cash box. The fellow I bought it from said that he didn't have a key for the phone. I just happen to have one from my other Centurion pay phone. He told me that he had it in his back yard for about 12 years. His kids use to play in it. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but my grandkids will have some fun with it. It needs a little TLC.

I am Enjoying this post! :) 8)
Phones, Who Knew! :)

NikeTelephone

NikeTelephone

Here it is in Its new home! :)

Looks good, that's better then it sitting on a skid behind my house. Not only that, wife was very happy to see it go after sitting there for 19 months. I don't even think the grandkids will miss it. They played in it for awhile then forgot about it. I'll miss the winter storage thou. LOL

Glad to see it go to a good home.  :)

Enjoy.

Victor Laszlo

Did it come with a Superman costume?

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on April 24, 2017, 09:36:37 AM
Did it come with a Superman costume?

No, I have to keep it because one size doesn't fit all. :)