News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 w/ a Navy Marking???

Started by persido, January 13, 2014, 01:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

I was in a antique store over the weekend, came across this plastic 302, on it's bottom it has a anchor with US around it, and all the dates inside the phone begin with an S, when I got it home it did not ring, I moved a few wires around and got it ringing, it's in very good shape, I paid $65 for it, can anyone tell me more about the markings......Thanks

Scot

Russ Kirk

I think you got a good deal.   I like the anchor stamp.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

S=Special? 

I agree.  $65 would be a little high for a typical black plastic 302 but I think the anchor marking makes it worth at least that much.  When is the last time anyone has seen a Navy marked 302?  I think I may have seen one before.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

The number on the dial card 703-942-XXXX is from Alexandria Virginia. Lots of government stuff there.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Very cool find, especially with its b.k., and also, another excellent restoration job!

Ben

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

This may have started as a 250, according to the AA1 stamp on the housing. That may explain why the ringer and  induction coil are a few months newer than the 5/45 base. A 250 is like a 202--just a handset, hook switch and cords.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Just to be kidding, maybe the anchor isn't US Navy at all.  Maybe someone long ago was not happy with it and tried to call it a boat anchor.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 13, 2014, 06:26:23 PM
Ben,

b.k. ???

Sorry, it means background, I've gotten into this shortening thing, my fault...

Ben

Nick in Manitou

I noticed recently in a thread about a "metal flake" 302 that turned out to be one of the "indigo" colored plastic 302s, that several of those had the "S" prefix to the dates.

Scot, have you held this case up to the light to see if it is one that appears to be purple?

Just curious...

Nick

persido

Hey Nick:

I did hold it up to the light, it's just a regular black plastic shell, no hints of purple.

Scot