News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1957 Gray Western Electric 500 Matching Dates

Started by LM Ericsson, January 07, 2014, 03:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

I went to the antique store today and picked up this nice soft plastic gray 500 from December of 1957. I got this phone for cheap ($40.00), It has all matching dates. Here are the pictures
Regards,
-Grayson

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice 500 you have there! I never knew WE made light grey so early, the earliest I've seen is 1958.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

Dennis Markham

That is a very  nice find!  The phone looks to be in excellent condition.  Light Gray is one of those colors that is usually found discolored from UV light.  This one looks great!  Nice dial card too.  Congratulations!

According to the TenProject web site, there was a UL3 exchange in Norfolk, VA.  Perhaps where the phone originated?

HarrySmith

Nice phone ;D Great find at a great price! This proves they are still out there if you look hard enough! Find of the month contender for sure!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 07, 2014, 03:16:25 PM
Nice 500 you have there! I never knew WE made light grey so early, the earliest I've seen is 1958.
The first year of production of light grey (-61) was 1957, same year that the other light colors were introduced (white, pink, beige, aqua blue), and the darker versions retired.

WesternElectricBen

Great find!

Link to his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEEI5QInXUY

Ben

JorgeAmely

That's a very nice find. For some reason, light gray fades quickly. I suggest a little umbrella over it.  ;D ;D And the video is a very good way to document your findings.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Grayson, I enjoyed taking the "tour" of your new phone via your video.  I think this phone has been unmolested for many years.  Perhaps yours are the first fingers inside since it was put into service.  You pointed out the dial date, but also notice it is marked with color suffix -61 (Light Grey).  Also the black ringer wire is attached to terminal "G" as many were at that time.  The yellow conductor from the mounting cord is also on terminal "G".  So to make it ring you'll have to combine the yellow and green mounting cord wires inside the 283B plug...or move the black ringer wire to L1.  I always like to leave them wired like they were when I come upon phones wired in a similar fashion.

Great phone, nice video.  Enjoy cleaning it!

~Dennis

Mr. Bones

Very Nice light gray; I've never seen one so early. Enjoy!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

LM Ericsson

I finished restoring this phone and I think it came out great. The phone was pretty dirty, especially under the fingerwheel! Here are some photos, not the best but the best I could do. I will take some photos in the natural light soon.
Regards,
-Grayson

WesternElectricBen

WEBellSystemChristian

Very beautiful phone, and a very well done restoration! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi