News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Complete, Working, Authentic

Started by HarrySmith, February 13, 2019, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just found this Green payphone on eBay. This is the first time I have seen one with a matching line cord! Authentic? I don't think so. Sellers description:

A very cool authentic vintage pay telephone. Having 3 coins slots for nickel, dime, quarter. Includes the key for the coin box. I plugged the 4-prong into an adapter and was able to make and receive calls. But I'm not sure how the coin mechanism gets set up and I didn't try putting any coins in. I had a dial tone as soon as I picked up the received after plugging it in. Adapter not included.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

robert_m

Ive seen them with coiled cords, but not sure that color - seems off...... And if you inspect pickture on ebay, appears brush maked on bottom of coin return, and odd their not showing inside i suspect its not complete.  Also odd both have the westeren electric tag on it under coin return - which possible suggests its a NE not an WE.  And certainly not worth 500 bucks.

Key2871

It does look too good, shiny paint, not noticeable chips or scratches. Either someone took really good care or it or it's a repaint.
But it does have a WE instruction holder, and a bolt where the security lock would be. If it was an NE it most likely would be a plug.

Ken
KEN

robert_m

Quote from: Key2871 on February 13, 2019, 05:32:26 PM
It does look too good, shiny paint, not noticeable chips or scratches. Either someone took really good care or it or it's a repaint.
But it does have a WE instruction holder, and a bolt where the security lock would be. If it was an NE it most likely would be a plug.

Ken

2 of my 3 NE 3-Slots have cylinders, tho most had the plug.  And it was optional and need that optional screwdown peice, it beleive its outlined in both BSP Coin Stain manual and Canada Bell equilivant seem to recall seeing it in both.

FYI - here the link that was not posted, and i after inspecting the color seems off to me. and does show paint on bottom on coin return as from what im seeing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123644549456

HarrySmith

OOPS! I forgot the link. Thanks for adding it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

robert_m

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 13, 2019, 05:47:21 PM
OOPS! I forgot the link. Thanks for adding it.

No worries - but 500 definitely out of line - especially not seeing the inside upper housing guts.  The price is inflated retail, and from at least what I'm seeing that should not command in MY opinion 275 shipped - and that's ONLY if the guts in Hopper have not been removed.  The last example I purchased a NE Chrome beautiful  complete un altered 233 295 at antique mall, with proper locks in both upper and lower, coin box, coin shoots, overall good to VG condition, a WE would command a little more, but missing that plate without seeing upper, and if been painted may of covered up the NE markings.

I own two original green Northern Electric Pay Phones one rotary and 1 T/T. Both are marked under the coin return.

This eBay one doesn't even have a marking on the handset, so what brand is it?
It's definitely a painted phone.

robert_m

Quote from: Duffy on February 13, 2019, 06:39:56 PM
I own two original green Northern Electric Pay Phones one rotary and 1 T/T. Both are marked under the coin return.

This eBay one doesn't even have a marking on the handset, so what brand is it?
It's definitely a painted phone.

Yeap, and yours clearly appears to be correct shade of green.  I suspect somewhere in the history the phone was pawned off as a WE and the NE tag removed, but im just speculating, as the WE generally command a higher price, not sure why tho as the NEs are the same for most part.  Love your Green TT, I have a chrome one hanging in My KITCHEN attached to stans controller 24x7.  Only part on my not NE is the handset I have the GRAY ATT one on it as the black on that was on it was badly cracked, and armor sheilding broken, so said screw it i like the GRAY one better anyways. 

poplar1

Green number plate looks original. WE made these payphones in Black, Beige, and Green. (Northern Electric and Automatic Electric had additional colors.)

The fake instruction card -- area code 151 -- and bolt indicate a butcher job from Long Island Telephone Co., which sold these retail for around $100. The relay is definitely gone. Some have 101A induction coils (from WE 302) added by LITC, and an added ringer may be swinging (unattached) in the vault. Door is AE.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

robert_m

Yeah dial card definately fake, area code and exchange whould not be on a payphone.

poplar1

Ebay suggested a similar item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-Western-Electric-Pay-phone-Rotary-Payphone-Telephone/223384994024

Apparently another "improved" green 234G from Long Island Telephone Co.

Note that the Bell System tag below the coin bucket was removed. Also the locks and relay are gone. Door is WE. Automatic Electric ringer added.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

robert_m

That one clearly painted as you see the black under on all the scratches.... ;)... and bell would not do a paint job like that thats for sure.  Suspect thats also a NE not a WE, but dont know cannot see the full number in the picks but its a cobbled up mess as well look at the home grown handset to moduler - another i would not pay more than 75 bucks for needs too much restoration to make correct.