News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEWBIE WeCo 550-C PBX Info wanted

Started by BigBird0000, June 17, 2017, 11:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBird0000

I am in Laughlin, NV. 90 Mins south of vegas.
On the colorado river, the southern most town in nevada, where az, ca and nv meet.

We have excessive heat warning til Friday.

Good time to stay in the house and work on PBX!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: BigBird0000 on June 19, 2017, 02:29:35 PM
I am in Laughlin, NV. 90 Mins south of vegas.
On the colorado river, the southern most town in nevada, where az, ca and nv meet.

We have excessive heat warning til Friday.

Good time to stay in the house and work on PBX!
Absolutely.  OTOH it hit 106 in Sacramento CA yesterday IIRC and even higher temps in the SF Bay Area's East Bay, over the hills in Castro Valley.

Fabius

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 19, 2017, 11:28:43 AM
OK, good.  122?  Where?

Beautiful Salome Arizona. The garden spot of North America.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

BigBird0000

I ate in Salome once, many years ago. And no I didn't have salami.

I am ready to start to bring my board up.

For now, I just would like to connect a few phones, not connected to CO.

What connects where?

trainman

The rows marked STATION LINES are  your extensions. T and R obviously are for TIP and RING.

Should be marked TRUNKS or TRKS for the outside lines.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: BigBird0000 on June 20, 2017, 04:30:24 PM
I ate in Salome once, many years ago. And no I didn't have salami.

I am ready to start to bring my board up.

For now, I just would like to connect a few phones, not connected to CO.

What connects where?
Didn't have salami and probably not Salomé either.

-24VDC connects to CENT OFF BAT.
The + side of the 24VDC source connects to CENT OFF GRD.
The high side of the 90VAC 20Hz ringing source connects to GEN +/-.
The return side of the 90VAC 20Hz ringing source connects to GEN G.

I'm not sure whether there is an internal connection within the swbd between the DC GRD and the ringing GRD.  It would be good to check for continuity before making these terminals before making connections. 

Similarly the 8050 may have a switch to return the 20Hz output to either the (-) or (+) side of the DC output.  If there is a connection within the switchboard let the ringing output of the 8050 float.  If there is no connection set the 8050 to return the 20Hz output to GRD (+).

Common battery telephone sets connect to STATION LINES, T&R terminals. 

I cannot read the designation on the far left above "STATION LINES" due to the reflection.  It's probably the CO trunk connections.

It's best to take photos slightly off to the side, especially when using flash.  Just a few degrees off perpendicular to the subject prevents reflections like are present in these photos.  A tripod is also a good idea if light is low.  These photos are blurry despite the very high resolution in terms of the actual number of pixels.  This is either due to camera shake in low light or incorrect focus, or both.  At ~4000x3000 pixels they would be crystal clear and perfectly legible if not for focus or shake.

BigBird0000

Alex,
Thanks for that info. I really needed the Power Supply info.
The designation on the far left above "STATION LINES was "TRKS" - obviously trunks.
The reflection was from the sun coming in through a broken blind. I took many pics, but I just uploaded ones that showed the layout
(that I tried to duplicate in the PDF), I then ran the pics through alogorithm to make them smaller (and added lossiness).

I'm gonna try and brave the heat, and go in the garage to get some wire.

TNKS!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: BigBird0000 on June 20, 2017, 05:26:35 PM
Alex,
Thanks for that info. I really needed the Power Supply info.
The designation on the far left above "STATION LINES was "TRKS" - obviously trunks.
The reflection was from the sun coming in through a broken blind. I took many pics, but I just uploaded ones that showed the layout
(that I tried to duplicate in the PDF), I then ran the pics through alogorithm to make them smaller (and added lossiness).

I'm gonna try and brave the heat, and go in the garage to get some wire.

TNKS!
You're welcome.  Not sure what you mean by "ran pics through algorithm".  The free Irfanview program will instantly change actual resolution individually or in batch mode as well as allow conversion among a wide variety of formats.  Also provides for text and line annotation, deskewing and many other functions.

Maybe you need to adopt a nocturnal schedule in your climate: sleep during the hot day and go out and into the garage only at night!   ;D

BigBird0000

I used the "reduce size of file" in irfanview. Just a habit, as many sites restrict size of files.

I have a better idea, sleep at night, and during day; keep everything in the house! (maybe actually have a car in there for once)!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: BigBird0000 on June 20, 2017, 06:37:04 PM
I used the "reduce size of file" in irfanview. Just a habit, as many sites restrict size of files.

I have a better idea, sleep at night, and during day; keep everything in the house! (maybe actually have a car in there for once)!
CRPF allows very large file sizes and absolute resolution as determined by the pixel dimensions.  So it is usually counterproductive to reduce file size by lowering the JPG "quality" setting or the pixel dimensions.

Car in the garage???  Now you're getting radical!  Be careful!   ;D

BigBird0000

IT'S ALIVE!

I just got back from a quick jaunt. I used a lab power supply instead of the tellabs for now.
That way I can watch the amps, and it has an adjustable cutoff. No ringer supply right now.

I have connected 1 phone right now. Off hook, the white light goes on, and there is power in the phone.
I am going to plug a headset, and add a few more phones in next....
and see if I can talk to the phone a particular station.

:) ;D

Alex G. Bell

Congratulations!  I guess there's joy in Lauglin, whether or not there is in Mudville.

BigBird0000

In Mudville..... struck out..... I hit a home run!

Headset works with phone!

Many thanks to you Alex, I wouldn't have gotten this far yet without your help!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: BigBird0000 on June 23, 2017, 09:55:39 PM
In Mudville..... struck out..... I hit a home run!

Headset works with phone!

Many thanks to you Alex, I wouldn't have gotten this far yet without your help!
You're very welcome!  The fun has just begun for you!

BigBird0000

I've been having fun with the kids and the PBX.

Is there an easy way to connect the ring generator to the PBX so the magneto does not need to be turned to signal?

Those PBX operators must have been pumped!