"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"How can I direct your call?"

Started by AdamAnt316, February 03, 2013, 04:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

I think you're right, Adam.

One way to track it down is to rule out sets that obviously don't match from the table here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#CallDirectors

Then look up the BSPs for the remainder and find one with the style cord that's on yours.

Since it's likely you don't have a general purpose Call Director, you probably have one that's been tailored for a special purpose. (There are quite a few on the list.)

It would be wise to do that before tinkering with it too much, or at least keep detailed records of any wiring changes you make to use it as a single line phone.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AdamAnt316

Best I can tell, the closest match is the 634, "Call Directors with station line concentrators". I checked some of the BSPs listed on that page as found in the TCI repository, and the main one for the 634 (502-600-100) is missing a couple of pages, including (it would appear) the schematic. It does have a connection diagram of sorts, but doesn't mention the line cord used, and the diagram for the 18 button version doesn't show exactly how it connects with the 66E mounting block.

However, I do have a possible match. According to 502-634-101, what I have could be the 634D. Components used are said to be the D50L line cord, 8C-58 dial, 4010B network, and N1A ringer, all of which my unit seems to have. Also mentions the 235 concentrator, as Phil did. No schematic in this BSP, unfortunately, but at least I'm getting closer. :)
-Adam

paul-f

Great start, Adam!

The Issue 3 copy in the Library is missing pages 2-3.  I trust your search also turned up the Issue 4 copy, which seems complete.

That is a general BSP covering many Call Director types, so doesn't have technical details.  Those are found in BSPs that are more specific to the set and often have the word "Connections" in the title.

Now that you have a section number (-6xx-), you can check the BSP index for the 502- division to see what related BSPs were published - 502-000-000.  You may need to look in several of the issues to find what you need, as BSPs came and went over the years.  You can skip directly to the section starting with 502-6.

AdamAnt316

My initial search did not turn up i4, but a more thorough scan picked it up. Still doesn't have the thorough technical info, of course, but I do believe I've managed to find that within 502-634-401. Much more in-line with what I was expecting to see. Still not entirely sure if it solves the mystery, but I do believe I'm getting closer, at the least. :)
-Adam

Dave F

Quote from: AdamAnt316 on February 05, 2013, 02:08:12 AM
<snip>...However, I do have a possible match. According to 502-634-101, what I have could be the 634D.
-Adam
Adam,

Yes, it appears that your Call Director is one of the variations of the 634.  These are special sets which were designed to reduce the need for costly and labor-intensive multiple cables in 1A1 key system installations having long cable runs from the phone to the KTU cabinet.  Instead of three cables, each with its own Amphenol connector, the 634 has only one cable & connector.  At the key system cabinet, there is a special KTU called a 235B Line Concentrator.  The 235B selectively sends the proper Tip and Ring to the phone, depending on which line button is pressed.  This works because you can only talk on one line at a time, and it isn't really necessary to send all T&R pairs to the phone simulatneously (as is done in a standard key set).

The schematics and connection info for the 634 are in BSP 502-634-401 (27 pages).  If you can't find it elsewhere, I can make a photocopy and mail it to you.  Just let me know.  Also, for reference, the BSP covering the 235B KTU is 518-310-405.  While it probably would not be particularly helpful if you don't intend to build a 1A1 system, I can also send you a copy of that as well.

Dave F

edit -- I noticed after I posted this reply that you have discovered 502-634-401. Looks like you're a step ahead of me!  By the way, 634 Call Directors are pretty rare.  That's a nice find!

DF

paul-f

Thanks, Dave!

Looks like interesting reading.

Find 502-634-401

Find 518-310-405

[URLs edited - full link should be visible in status bar at bottom of this window]

Dave F

Thanks, Paul!

FYI, the long links you posted cause the page to display incorrectly in my browser.  Maybe you can convert them to TinyURLs.

Dave

paul-f

Dave,

I forgot to enclose them with the forum software's "Insert Hyperlink" html codes.

Try them now.

I usually prefer visible URLs to hidden URLs when possible.

Dave F

Paul,

Still seeing the complete long links.

DF

paul-f

Of course, but if you click on them, do they work properly?

Dave F

Paul,

Yes, they work when you click on them, but that isn't the problem I was referring to.  Clickable links with long character strings cause the Forum page on which they reside to display incorrectly in some browsers (Firefox, for example).  This has been a previous Forum topic of discussion, and appears to be a problem with the Forum software.  The remedy is to reduce the link's character string length so that it does not reach all the way to the right side of the page, either be converting the link to a TinyURL or by creating a short clickable hyperlink instead.  Your long links cause the problem to manifest itself, and it is now not possible for me to view the entire page width without greatly reducing the text size as displayed by my browser.  Let me know if my explanation does not make sense to you, or if you are not aware of this ongoing problem with the Forum software.  In any case, please do something to reduce the number of characters in those links.

DF

paul-f

I don't remember the long link discussion and misinterpreted your first explanation.

I use both IE and Firefox and don't have a problem with either browser, so any past discussion was obviously purged from short term memory.

To shorten URLs, I prefer using the forum software's descriptive link feature.  It makes the full URL visible on the status line when moused over.  It's not quite as good as having the full link visible in context.  I'll try to remember to do this in the future.

Links changed above.

Dave F

Paul,

That did the trick -- Thanks!  This particular computer I'm on today has an older version of Firefox which may be more susceptible to the problem, but I know that other Forum members regularly experience it as well.

DF

AdamAnt316

Thanks for the insights, guys! So, I have to ask, is there a way to make this thing work without a key system? As cool as it'd be to rig up  a 1A1 or 1A2 in the house, I don't think I'd have much use for it besides making the Call Director work. Also, I have no idea how common these 235/236 station line concentrators might be. Once again, thanks!
-Adam

AE_Collector

The long links discussions are all in the forum news area.

Terry