News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hard Week for Me

Started by Doug Rose, February 20, 2015, 09:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

My 91 year old Mother died last Thursday and we had the Funeral on Tuesday. She had stage 4 cancer for almost 30 years, she was given six months 30 years ago. She fought the good fight. Tough old Babe, she was a warrior in a 5 ft 100 lb package and did not give in, kept fighting. The last five years her dementia increased until she had to go into a Nursing Home on January 2014. Janet is the Marketing Director there, so she saw her everyday. "There's my Daughter in Law" was her Ed McMahon intro every time and I mean every time she saw Jan came into a room.  Dementia is not kind, but she did remember family. She was good until just before Christmas this year, good as can be expected.

As much as you prepare for it and know she is in a better place....she is still your Mother and it is hard to shake the final picture in your head. I was lucky to get there Thursday morning as I got the call from the Nursing home just as I was getting on the 6:04 AM to Boston. I was lucky I heard my cell with the Train noise and the way I was bundled up with the cold we have been having. I got there with Janet and the girls met us there. My mother waited until we all got there to pass. Not easy to watch, but she was not alone....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

My condolences to you and your family, Doug.  Times like these are always difficult.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Russ Kirk

Doug, so sorry to hear about your loss.......
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

tallguy58

So sorry to hear about your mom.

I'm going through the same thing with my mom right now.

Dementia is very cruel.

Condolences to you all.
Cheers........Bill

HarrySmith

So sorry to hear of your loss. MY condolences. I lost my Mom several years ago after being bedridden by a brain tumor for many years. As you said, she is in a better place but it was a tough loss.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Hi Doug:

It is so hard when one reaches the age where they loses their parents. Mine both passed away in recent years, and it was very hard. My mother's death was expected - she had broken her hip, and progressively got worse over the coming month. She and my father had been living in a local nursing home together. When I took Dad to the funeral, on the way, he asked, "Whose funeral are we going to?" He passed away in his sleep a couple of years later. I still occasionally will wake up from a sleep, and for a moment think, "I must go over and have coffee with Mom and Dad", as had been my habit for many years.

Bless you and your family. It will get easier, but I know your mother will never be forgotten. She is out of pain, and she had family around as she moved on to her next adventure.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

You have my sympathy as well, Doug.

It's fortunate that you had as many years with her as you did -- especially under the circumstances.  Few of my ancestors made it into their nineties.  I'm sure you have many great memories of your time together and will treasure them always.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

cihensley@aol.com

I am sorry to hear your pain Doug.

Chuck

19and41

My sincere condolences.  My mother had 2 years from her diagnosis of ovarian cancer.  She did her best with them, as yours did.  That's one small comfort.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

I thought I wrote this to collect my thoughts. After I sent it I wondered why I did send it.

Now I know....thank you all for your kind words, believe it or not, it made me feel much better. Your support really helped. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You guys are really something!!...Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 20, 2015, 04:14:04 PM
I thought I wrote this to collect my thoughts. After I sent it I wondered why I did send it.

Now I know....thank you all for your kind words, believe it or not, it made me feel much better. Your support really helped. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You guys are really something!!...Doug

This has been said here before, many think of each other as friends even though we have never met face to face. I am glad we do share these topics, it is good to discuss these things among friends.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WesternElectricBen

My condolences, she is in a better place now.

Ben

Kenton K

My thoughts are with you Doug. My family is currently struggling with my grandmother who has dementia. My sincerest condolences to you and all your family.

Kindly
Kenton

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm so sorry, Doug. My Grandpa died two years ago, and my family is still torn up about it. The thing that keeps smiles on our faces is knowing that he's in a better place now, and the life he lived here on earth was incredible. I'm sure you can say the same for your Mother.

You and your family will be in our prayers.

Christian
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Mr. Bones

My condolences are with you and Janet, Doug. I wish the best for you, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus