"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Glass insulator lamps.

Started by Greg G., February 26, 2015, 08:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 27, 2015, 01:13:29 PM

Most of the insulators I have dug are telegraph or signal insulators from rail lines.  ... I have heard that old poles that were being replaced were pulled and often the insulators were dumped in the pole holes before they were filled in.  Others went to dumps.

It piqued my interest because before I started collecting phones, I wanted to get into privy digging, but it involved a lot of tedious research, manual labor, and negotiating with landowners for permission to dig.  It was that last part that killed it for me, I'm not known for my diplomatic skills.  Some fascinating artifacts are found digging up old outhouses.  Our house is 100 years old, I often wonder if there was an outhouse here when it was first built.  If so, I can totally skip that last part.

http://tinyurl.com/oytv4l8
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Brinybay on February 27, 2015, 03:09:10 PM
Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 27, 2015, 01:13:29 PM

Most of the insulators I have dug are telegraph or signal insulators from rail lines.  ... I have heard that old poles that were being replaced were pulled and often the insulators were dumped in the pole holes before they were filled in.  Others went to dumps.

It piqued my interest because before I started collecting phones, I wanted to get into privy digging, but it involved a lot of tedious research, manual labor, and negotiating with landowners for permission to dig.  It was that last part that killed it for me, I'm not known for my diplomatic skills.  Some fascinating artifacts are found digging up old outhouses.  Our house is 100 years old, I often wonder if there was an outhouse here when it was first built.  If so, I can totally skip that last part.

http://tinyurl.com/oytv4l8

LOL, I know one of the guys pictured in your search link.  He was also an insulators collector and I have gone on digs with him.  I remember reading some posts made on a bottle web site by his privy digging buddy (who I also know and have dug insulators with) and one of the things that sticks out in my mind was mention of finding intact coprolites.  I'm sure you know what they are; petrified turds.  I don't think they ever dug insulators from privy holes, but they can be good places to find bottles.
Cliff

Greg G.

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 27, 2015, 03:39:09 PM
LOL, I know one of the guys pictured in your search link.  He was also an insulators collector and I have gone on digs with him.  I remember reading some posts made on a bottle web site by his privy digging buddy (who I also know and have dug insulators with) and one of the things that sticks out in my mind was mention of finding intact coprolites.  I'm sure you know what they are; petrified turds.  I don't think they ever dug insulators from privy holes, but they can be good places to find bottles.

Which picture is that?  I first learned of privy digging for artifacts when I found an old dairy bottle while scuba diving in Puget Sound.  I researched it online to find out it's approximate age, and naturally because it was an old bottle my search led me to privy digging.  I was totally fascinated by the idea of finding "buried treasure", but just never got into it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on February 26, 2015, 10:14:34 PM
This new to eBay seller got $485+ for this insulator. Some sell for less than a buck, then there are these.
John
Quote from: TelePlay on February 26, 2015, 10:14:34 PM
This new to eBay seller got $485+ for this insulator. Some sell for less than a buck, then there are these.
John...could you post the ebay auction number?....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

There is a glass insulator collector's gold mine in northern Arizona, on the south side of I-40 near Joseph City and the Cholla Power Plant. Several acres of apparently private land, covered 5 feet deep with old telephone/telegraph/power poles. Crossarms still in place on most of them, and glass insulators on the cross arms.

Anyone know what I am talking about? It can't be a secret, since it is clearly visible from both sides of I-40. Perhaps the owner is a collector of insulators-in-the-rough, and greets visitors with a shotgun. I often wanted to stop and investiagte, but the schedule through there never allowed.

Bill