"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Freebie "French" Repro

Started by Ed Morris, November 27, 2017, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Quote from: Ed Morris on December 08, 2017, 06:18:44 PM
Well, things are coming together, I hope.  I tapped the mounting holes for the 4010 network for 4-40 screws and mounted the network on Larry's plate.  The threaded studs I attached to the plate with J-B Weld had cured, so I installed the ringer. 

I connected the ringer, and the wires from the hookswitch to the network.  The leads from the hook switch on the base plate were the same colors as those on the Princess hook switch, so I connected them according to the 702B schematic.  If the lead colors are standardized, then I should be good to go on the hook switch and ringer.

The dialer may be a problem.  The leads from the Princess 8A dial are white-white-blue-green.  The JN-4 dialer leads are white-white-red-black.  I've connected the dialer leads as I think they should be, but won't be sure it's right until I can test everything.  I'm still working on restoring the handset, so I won't be able to test until tomorrow.

I do believe what is pictured here is exactly what I have seen in ATC Mickey Mouse or Snoopy phones with WE Guts. In fact In Mexico I see these phones with both Japanese components and what appear to be WE (or clones thereof right down to markings) that never say WE , NE , nor SC

The last time I saw one of these someone brought me one to repair and it had the same plate. In fact I re-wired it based on the snoopy/Mickey ATC diagram in the TCI library.  SOmeone had obviously been in it and some things were completely wrong.

I have one that looks lile it here now but just checked and has Tamara dial and Japanese components.

I have another that "looks" different on the outside but similar plate with WE (clone?) components and Tamara DIal. It says "Made IN Japan"  with original sales stickers on bottom in Mexican Pesos.

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Ed Morris

The F-56662 dial is the problem.  Although I cleaned and lubricated the dial mechanism, I get a wrong number or number not in service when I try to dial out.  Yet when I test the dial on a BK 1045, the dialed numbers register correctly.

I temporarily disconnected the dial and attached a 8FA dial from a Princess phone in its place, and the phone dials out correctly, so the 4010 network and other components in the JN-4 are OK.

I'm not sure what else I can do to the dial.  Too bad the 8FA won't fit.  There are some #6 dials on eBay, but I don't know if they will mount in the dial housing of the JN-4.   I might be able to adapt one to fit. 

Any suggestions?  I've  got too much time invested now to give up.
Ed

TelePlay

Even though it test good on the BK, did you compare the contact operation on the working dial to that of the "bad" dial?

Do the contacts on the "bad" dial open and close in the same order or sequence as the good dial?

Anything reversed which may look good to the BK may send the wrong pulse down the line?

I hope I asked that question to make sense.

Ed Morris

John, I have watched the contacts, but I don't have enough experience to really tell much.  They appear to make and break correctly.  Despite cleaning and lubrication, the dial has a somewhat rough feel to it, and seems a little slow.  It may be within the BK 1046 tolerance, but Verizon Fios may not like it.

I will keep working with it though, and do more side by side comparisons of the contacts with the 8FA.
Ed

Ed Morris

I found a NOS WE 6U dial on eBay.  It came in the mail today, and it works perfectly in the JN-4.  It wasn't cheap, but since I plan to keep the phone, maybe gift some lucky relative with it, I don't mind.
Ed

markosjal

would it help to have a number you could dial into that would record your dial pulses then download them? You could then open in Audacity and see the duration between pulses. Using this technique i have even been able to see a slight variation between the duration of first two pulses and last two pulses.

I have a few USA numbers that I am not using . The main question is how to "serve up" the files but i can do it manually for now.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Ed Morris

After I replaced the original 6U dial with the new one, I sent the original to Steve Hiltz for repair.  I have it back now.
Ed