News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A rant about escutcheon assemblies!

Started by Greg G., February 28, 2013, 12:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

What sort of pervert thought up this kind of dial center assembly anyway?!  I really, really, really, really, hate these things!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

G-Man

I assume you are referring to Automatic Electric's number card retainer method. It really is rather easy to use when the proper tool is used. Even though I generally use my H-26917 dial escutcheon tool, in a pinch I have also used a small screwdriver which is the recommended substitute in the Gtel/Automatic Electric Practices. I have included a photo of one of my tools below.

Also, a version of this tool was commissioned by Gary Goff from whom you can purchase it from.

G-Man

From the AE Practice in the TCI Library for removing number cards from various AE dials:

Greg G.

Yes, I'm using a small screwdriver and following those same instructions, but the darn thing took 45 minutes of frustration to finally catch on the little tab.  I checked it many times to make sure the escutcheon was moving freely and in the right position.  Anyway, it finally caught and I'm not taking it off again.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: G-Man on February 28, 2013, 01:05:28 AM
Also, a version of this tool was commissioned by Gary Goff from whom you can purchase it from.

Gary's work well, too and other than the stamping, are exactly the same...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

I'll contact Gary for one, hopefully they'll make it easier.  The dial card and acetate look like hell now, plus the typed phone number didn't turn out very well on the dial card, so I want to redo it.  I still don't like nor understand why they designed them this way.  Nothing against AE, but I much prefer WE's simpler version of just snapping the ring in place.
- Mike Row
e