News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help needed with a Northern Telecom 554B wallset

Started by Faza, April 30, 2015, 10:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faza

Hi guys need a bit of help repairing an old phone I rescued from work, once working I would like to use it in my garage.
I have connected the phone to see if it works and it has a dial tone but does not recognize that you are dialing a number.
I have found a broken leaf switch which I think engages the dialer ?? and the switch that sends the pulse when dialing does not seem to be working.
Can I buy the parts to repair or would it be best to change the entire dial mechanism.
Sorry if my terminology is incorrect I am an electrical instrument technician by trade but know very little about phones.
A few photos below
Cheers
John

Faza

Hi guys need a bit of help repairing an old phone I rescued from work, once working I would like to use it in my garage.
I have connected the phone to see if it works and it has a dial tone but does not recognize that you are dialing a number.
I have found a broken leaf switch which I think engages the dialer ?? and the switch that sends the pulse when dialing does not seem to be working.
Can I buy the parts to repair or would it be best to change the entire dial mechanism.
Sorry if my terminology is incorrect I am an electrical instrument technician by trade but know very little about phones.
A few photos below
Cheers
John

G-Man

Northern Telecom 554B wallset with most likely a 425QE1 instead of a 425B network.Here is a service note describing it from Nortel:

2.03 The 425B Network has been replaced by later models which are identical except that they have additional screw terminals. Thelater type networks provide for equalization.

compubit

This looks like it's a Northern Electric 554 set (based on your other post)  If I'm not mistaken, you'll probably want to replace the dial, if part of it is broken. 

As a first step, though. You might want to try electronic contact cleaner (not sure what's available in Australia - check the forums, but don't get anything with Silicon in it - such as WD-40).  Parts for this type of phone a plentiful - Nothern Electric/Western Electric/ITT 554 should be compatible (which uses the same components as the 500 series also - if you're just looking for a dial).

Good luck, and let us know how everything looks when you get the job done!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

G-Man

Actually, after taking a closer look at the network, it may not be one of the aforementioned replacements. It may be more similar to the network used in the instruments Nortel manufactured for the Irish PTT.  Please take a closer look and note the terminal designations as well as the "Q" number.The J1A ringer designation is interesting as well.

Jack Ryan

Interesting telephone. Certainly not intrinsically safe - perhaps it is meant to be a weather resistant 554.

How do we know it is from Northern Telecom? I haven't seen enough of them to tell the difference. The dial is ITT.

Definitely an internal phone - not used by Telstra.

Jack

G-Man

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 01, 2015, 12:28:56 AM
Interesting telephone. Certainly not intrinsically safe - perhaps it is meant to be a weather resistant 554.

How do we know it is from Northern Telecom? I haven't seen enough of them to tell the difference. The dial is ITT.

Jack

Actually the dial is stamped nt northern telecom. I am not sure why it should have been intrinsically safe if used in a nonvolatile atmosphere though it should have been better protected from the weather. Sometimes the nylon/plastic pulsing cam becomes misaligned with the contact assembly and may need to be reset.

Faza

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 01, 2015, 12:28:56 AM

Jack

Jack
No not intrinsically safe it wasn't located in a hazardous area although I do have a flameproof intercom/phone photo attached.
The phone is located outside in a weatherproof enclosure.
It has Northern telecom on the hand piece.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jack Ryan

John,

I mis-read the dial - sorry about that.

Do you know what it was connected to (the PABX) at the refinery? Whatever it is/was - perhaps it has been abandoned.

Thanks
Jack

Faza

Guys can I replace just the switch assembly or do I have to replace the entire dial unit.
You can see in the pictures that one of the leaf contacts is snapped off and is not repairable.
There is a complete unit on eBay that looks compatible but not keen on the huge postage cost to Australia.
Thanks

G-Man

It's difficult to tell from the photo but if it is a contact attached to a white wire that is missing, it would not affect the dial pulses since those contacts are used to mute the pulses so they will not be heard in the receiver.

Observe whether the pulsing contacts (blue and green wires) are opening and closing and if the pulses can be heard on an extension telephone.

Also, is your telephone service connected to a traditional copper line or are you using an cable tv company or internet based VoIP service? If so, then a lot of the newer modems for telephony service will not support dial pulsing.
As far as repairing the dial, it is one of the last generations of the series and is pressed together and  was not made for servicing though you could still try.

Most any dial from a 500-series set from Nortel, Western Electric, Stromberg Carlson, or ITT should work.

These instruments are very plentiful over here but the cost of shipping may be prohibitive.

G-Man

I've been checking on eBay for you, however, as you know the cost of shipping is prohibitive.

Do you know who services the plant's telephone system?

I would suggest you find out who their onsite service tech is, and while quaffing a nice cold Victoria's or Toohey's lager, explain that you are a budding collector and ask if he has come across another old 500-series telephone that he is about to discard.

Faza

Quote from: G-Man on May 02, 2015, 01:45:51 AM
I've been checking on eBay for you, however, as you know the cost of shipping is prohibitive.

Do you know who services the plant's telephone system?

I would suggest you find out who their onsite service tech is, and while quaffing a nice cold Victoria's or Toohey's lager, explain that you are a budding collector and ask if he has come across another old 500-series telephone that he is about to discard.

Gman

I will ask him if I see him but I think this type of phone isn't common here in Oz.
I have been watching this complete dial on eBay but the $24 USD postage seems excessive.
Thanks for all the help

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311334088467?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheers

John

G-Man

One other thought! In the past we have had collectors from Oz attend some of our telephone shows. A TCI show is going to be held on June 6th in Southern California and if any of your countrymen or Nz neighbors attends, perhaps they would be willing to stow a dial in their luggage for delivery on their return trip.

I am certain that someone would be willing to donate the dial itself, leaving you with only cost of local or Nz postage.

A shout-out on the TCI, ATCA (U.S.) and Australian collector's lists to see if anyone from "Down Under" plans to attend may yield results. In the meantime check to see if the pulsing contacts (Blue and Green wires) are opening and closing. The contacts with the white wires will not affect the operation of the set other than allowing the clicks to be heard in the receiver.

Faza

Looking for a decal that would have been on the front of the weatherproof enclosure.
Any ideas out there as to what it would have been?
Is Northern telecom and Northern electric the same?
Thanks