"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help needed with a Northern Telecom 554B wallset

Started by Faza, April 30, 2015, 10:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Quote from: Faza on May 17, 2015, 01:10:06 AM
Looking for a decal that would have been on the front of the weatherproof enclosure.
Any ideas out there as to what it would have been?
Is Northern telecom and Northern electric the same?
Thanks

A very long story but here are a couple of the more salient facts...

Northern Electric manufactured equipment was mostly designed by AT&T/Western Electric, which had owned as much as 46% of the company at one time.

The 1956 consent decree caused AT&T to start divesting itself from Northern Electric.

In 1976, Northern Electric was renamed Northern Telecom and in 1995, it adopted a new logo and name: NORTEL. In 1998, it added Networks to its name

I don't recall decals on outside telephone housings since they would deteriorate from the weather. Typically the name was die-cast into the housing.

Faza

Thanks G man you can see on the front of the enclosure that there is a spot where a label of some sort was once there.
Looking on the restoration sites I can only locate northern electric decals.
Cheers
John

Faza

Sorry photo attached

Faza

Just a quick update I have purchased a NOS dialer came sealed in original packaging, it came with a cream colored dial face so after cleaning and clearcoating the original black dial face its ready to go and works great.
I have stripped and repainted the weatherproof enclosure using enamel paint looks great.
I am after a chrome cradle as the existing one is very pitted and the cost to re chrome is ridiculous in Australia. If anyone has one in very good condition let me know.
A few photos attached.
Cheers

Faza

Guys I need some advice i have reassembled the phone and it works great but will not ring?
This seems to be quite common as there have been quite a few posts regarding this problem.
Can someone indicate the correct wiring diagram I should be following if I want the ringer to operate at home.
G-man posted this link to a diagram http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14281.0;attach=122321;image
Is this correct if so mine is wired incorrectly.
My red wire from the ringer coil is currently connected to L3 as per picture attached?
My black wire is attached to L1 I think this is correct as there is no ground in a two wire system.
The other two wires are grey to terminal K and grey/red stripe to terminal A.
The capacitor is across grey and grey/red stripe wires.
Should I be looking at replacing the capacitor?
I will check the coil resistance in the morning to see if it is still ok.
Still a newb in phones but learning all the time.

Cheers

John

poplar1

Red ringer wire should be on L2 (with the red line wire), not L3.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Faza

Thanks Poplar I have changed the wiring as suggested, I have checked the resistance of the ringer coil and it is open cut on both windings >:(
I have been searching for information on the J1A ringer unit installed in the phone and cannot find any?
Should I replace the coil and if so is this interchangeable with C4 ringer units or should I swap out the entire unit with a C4 unit?
Has any members have units for sale that will suit if so please PM me.
I am located in Australia so very hard to get parts here.
Thanks