"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Teletrainer

Started by DavePEI, April 13, 2013, 09:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: Jim S. on May 08, 2013, 11:40:24 AM
You could  also do a running knot with  lacing string along with the wires for additional stress relief
Just a thought.
Jim
Not a bad idea.... I have some waxed lacing cord here. Thanks!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Here is the final result of making adapters for the Teletrainer. I have to play around a bit with adding ring generators to it yet - I may have to use a relay to apply the ring signal - we will see when I get a chance to work on that. The trainer works very well with two attached phones!

This was my major problem finding a way to use the teletrainer with normal phones - when I bought it it had been separated from its accompanying phones. The phones originally used with the system were modified, with a special low voltage DC ringer installed. They came with 1/4 inch plugs for connection to the trainer.

First attempts using normal modular cables soldered directly to the 1/4 inch jacks proved unreliable due to the very thin tinsel in the modular cable. Although I managed to get good solder connections to the cable, the thin wires would break easily resulting in unsatisfactory performance.

Being a museum display piece, I didn't want to modify it highly, or to change the 1/4 inch jacks to modular connectors. So, with advice from people here and other lists, this was the eventual solution, allowing the control unit to remain original. Any modular phone can be plugged into the Digi-Key jack, and then plugged into the 1/4 inch left and right inputs of the Trainer.

I will eventually do a small internal modification of the ringer circuit of the trainer so that it will work with modern ringers, but for the time being, this allows the trainer to be used for demonstrations, and with no modifications with the ringers remaining non-functional.

Audio is clear, and conversations can be monitored by the built-in speaker, or by the instructor plugging a set of earphones into the instructor's jack.

If anyone sees a WE one for sale, I'd love to get one for the museum, too.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001