"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. D1 Markings

Started by jfrutschy, November 30, 2013, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Hello everyone,

Right to it. Girlfriend got me two d1 (202's) for Christmas off Craigslist in our home town.  I already had two. One powder coated and restored the other a natural.

On the two that were given to me one was stamped   d1 USA on back upon inspection of the other it was marked....  WE Pat. # 1508484 pat pending along the base bottom edge.  It has a d1 stamp, But does not have USA  stamped on it either.   

The ones I already owned have the d1 and USA stamp also and no patent date.

So...what is the difference in these two phones.     I can provide pics  if needed, didn't feel the need as of yet!  Unless you folks request them.

Was going to clean and restore both with girlfriend...my phones peaked her interest a little.  She needs to catch our disease and become afflicted with telephones.  Maybe?

Thanks everybody..

TelePlay

The D1 I'm working on has this around the bottom edge:

WESTERN ELECTRIC MADE IN U S A PATENT 1508424 PAT PEND

Note the "2" vs "8" difference in the number. Interesting.

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on November 30, 2013, 09:45:13 AM
Note the "2" vs "8" difference in the number. Interesting.

The 8 must have been a typo.

These are two common marking varieties of the D1 mountings.  Either a USA mark by the mounting code, or a patent reference along the edge. I presume the units with the patent reference are an earlier version, because it is the patent for the A1 handset mounting.

Sargeguy

Do they all weigh the same?  Early versions were made of aluminum, but slid around too much and were replaced by the zinc alloy versions.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

jfrutschy

No they do not weigh the same.  And I had a type o...it is 1508484

Sargeguy

Cool, the early aluminum ones are harder to find and carry a slight premium over the zinc alloy ones.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

I like the heavier ones better, usually 1936-1937. However, the original paint seems to look better on the light ones 1930-1935.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.