News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Major modified 302

Started by TelePlay, February 09, 2014, 05:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I'd like to see what's inside this one. Looks like a speaker, maybe. The base shows major modification to original components, or their removal and addition of other stuff unknown. Is that a volume control lower right and a on/off switch on the side?

I'd take it for a BIN for $6.99 with free shipping. The feet are good, as is the handset. They want a minimum of $59 plus $20 shipping. Ain't going to happen, I fear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141188864284

Seller listed it as: Up for auction is this Art Deco Phone made by Western Electric Company.  It's identified as an F1 W, which is marked on the inside of the hand piece. The face plate is similar to a speaker screen. On the left side of the base, is a switch with 2 positions. I know very little about this style of phone as it doesn't have the rotary. I believe it's called a "Receiver Phone", was made in the 1920's or 30's and was used to make or receive calls directly through an operator.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Wow, $150 for 2 without handsets? Stereo, I guess. Missed those. And they are Marconi Telephones, to boot. At least the seller opened them up. Strange ringer plate in one of them. And I don't remember seeing that "Patented" stamp in my 302s. Was that original to the 302 or added for effect?

If this keeps up, we might need a new topic: "Hideous Amp Phones"  ;)

paul-f

The seller seems a bit uncertain about opening it up to take internal photos, but may give it a try.

Stay tuned.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

These were control heads for radio base stations.The Marconi ones are from Canada and sets were modified NE sets

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on February 09, 2014, 05:28:13 PM

I'd like to see what's inside this one. Looks like a speaker, maybe. The base shows major modification to original components, or their removal and addition of other stuff unknown. Is that a volume control lower right and a on/off switch on the side?

The seller has four sets with modifications.  She has posted photos of the insides an all the auctions:  131113592326, 131113601180, 131113607369 and 141188864284.

Seller: trunks2treasures

Some started life as AA1s or AB1s.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line