"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 106: Rare 1939 Western Electric 302 Bakelite Prototype

Started by TelePlay, October 19, 2013, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Jim Stettler

I have seen 1 of these before. It had a field trial tag inside. The tag said to return to Bell Labs for repair. I think it sold for less than $600.

$1350.00 is my guess

Jim

----------------------

Edit: Guess change by Jim S. to $1,330.00 (5% below $1,400.00)
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

wds

My first guess would be that it won't exceed the reserve price.  Otherwise I'll go with $1600
Dave

Dan

I  guessed 995.96 not 9000+ :P

------------------

Edit:  Guess corrected in scorecard on 10-22 at 9:30 PM CST
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

WesternElectricBen

3,200 if that number isn't crowding anyone.

Ben

--------------------

Edit:  Guess modified, Ben,  to "split the difference" at $3,150

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

wds

How do we know it's a WE and not a NE?  Just wondering because the base plate sure likes like the NE #1 phone.  Thanks
Dave

rdelius

It is WE .Just like mine except bakelite.It would not surprise me if WE  and  NE worked togather.The Uniphone? came first and was bakelite.If you look carefully, you will see a painted over field trial paper tag inside

TelePlay

The reserve was met and the phone was sold. So, a big congratulations goes out to DavePEI who stepped out of that pack of "one time winners" into the pack of "two time winners" with his guess of $2,750.00 being only $78.00 away from the sale price of $2,672.00.

DavePEI was the 4th to enter the contest and the reserve was not met until the last few minutes when the bids jumped from $1,025 to $2,672 in the final 90 seconds with a snipe by first time bidder f***f ( 882) 6 seconds before the auction ended to take the phone home.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 106 contests.

Thanks to all who played in this contest. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.