News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just Received! Ebay find: 1958 Soft Plastic White 500

Started by JimH, June 02, 2011, 08:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

Here's a white soft plastic 500 from February, 1958 I just received off Ebay for the bargain price of $8.98 + shipping.  I wasn't sure from the ONE picture in the auction if it was all original, but I received it yesterday, and all parts are from late Jan. or Feb. 1958.  The only part that isn't is the line cord stamped '62.  I've been looking for a white on for years.  Amazingly, when you get the dirt off one of these, there is little or no yellowing, unlike the ABS models that came later.  I just used a toothbrush and a Mr. Clean Magic eraser, and a little Novus to shine it up.  The handset cord has a couple of brown spots on it that won't budge.    Here's a couple of before and afters.  Any suggestions to get the cord whiter?

Here's the original auction link:     http://tinyurl.com/3kemvso
Jim H.

Dennis Markham

Wow, nice buy Jim!  You have it looking very nice.  I'd say it was worth the wait.

JimH

Thanks, Dennis.  I waited and waited (Parcel Post, and god knows when they shipped it).  I gave the usual instructions on shipping to the seller, and was told "I'll put a note on it for my packer".  But it was good, and came in one piece. Now the only color that eludes me is Oxford Gray.  Those usually don't fly under the radar like the white ones do.  :D
Jim H.

LarryInMichigan

Great find, Jim!  I have been looking for one of those.  Try soaking the cord in Oxiclean and water in the sunlight for a few hours.

Larry

Dan

Congrats Jim, white was the second to  last one I couldn't find. I was lucky to get mine on craigslist. Considering they didn't come out till 1957 you only have an 18 month window to get them in soft tenite.

I too need an oxford grey ( I have a two-tone , but that doesn't count).

Did you ask the questions on the auction to tip you off it was soft plastic, or did someone else ?

Is a scotch magic eraser like a Mr Clean magic eraser sponge or is it something different?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

That's a very nice white one you have there, Jim. Sometimes those faded areas on the cords just won't come out, and yours doesn't look too bad in the picture. That fat cord is nice too. They slimmed down considerably after 1959. You can try Oxiclean and see if it makes any difference. If it does, please let us know.

Your phone likely came in under the radar because it was posted in the Vintage Electronics category. I'll never know why they have so many categories for phones, but at least it lets one fly low now and then. You did a great job cleaning it up. Congratulations!

Don't give up hope on your last color. Dark gray sometimes masquerades as green to some sellers. I've been able to get a couple of them--in the old days--that were sold as green but were obviously faded dark gray in the pictures. I'm not sure you'd see the same thing happen today. But don't give up.

White soft plastic is not prone to fading darker like white hard plastic is. I've had two of the mid-1959 "combo" variety that I was able to use the parts and combine to make one nice white soft plastic phone and one miserable faded hard plastic phone. What white soft plastic seems to be prone to is cracking. So you're lucky you don't have a cracked one.

I'd say this one is a good candidate for "find of the month" for June.
Jonathan

JimH

Quote from: Dan on June 02, 2011, 10:18:15 AM
Did you ask the questions on the auction to tip you off it was soft plastic, or did someone else ?

Is a scotch magic eraser like a Mr Clean magic eraser sponge or is it something different?

Thanks, Dan.  I was the one who asked the questions at the bottom.  I was the only bid on it, too.  I have quite a few white ones that I'd hoped were soft plastic (they had late 50s dates on the bottom), only to find out they had 1960 or later plastics.  I'm mistaken...it was a "Mr. Clean" magic eraser.  For some reason I thought they were Scotch.  They're great for removing dirt, but they also remove some of the shine, too.  That's why Novus #2 restored the shine to it. 

Jim H.

JimH

Quote from: jsowers on June 02, 2011, 10:36:48 AM
I'd say this one is a good candidate for "find of the month" for June.

Thanks, Jonathan, I'll keep my fingers crossed!  ;)
Jim H.

Kenny C

It's beautiful Jim. I love my white 500 I use it more than any of my other colors. Something about white.

I second the find of the month nomination.

Really beautiful set.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

gpo706

Just like the one in my living room, apart from its not soft plastic, and a mongrel NT refurb, it is a very nice colour.

I would also recommend the oxybright treatment for the handset cord.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kenny C on June 02, 2011, 07:28:33 PM
I second the find of the month nomination.

Already done. I put it in the May 2011 "Find of the Month" so everyone get over there and vote for your favorite!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4772.0

Terry