News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1956 and 1955 WE 500s in Green with Grey Cords!!!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, December 06, 2013, 06:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Ok, I have officially gone phone crazy. Last night, just before I went to bed, I decided to check eBay for suspiciously unusual phones. Then, right there in front of me, was yet ANOTHER Avacado green 500 with a grey handset cord (no line cord) with a base date of June of 1955, with minty suede feet, and a scratchless, pristine base. I slowly scrolled down the page, and checked the price, $45, BiN. I was pretty much hopeless, since I didn't want to wake my dad up, and chances were good that someone would buy it by morning. I grabbed my tablet this morning to check if someone bought it, and it was still not bought!!! I told my dad, and we got on his laptop, and there were 4 watchers on it. :o We immediately bought it, and now I am gleefully stuck with two mid-fifties green 500s, still waiting for them to ship and arrive. They are both expected to arrive the 11th. I'm also about out of Christmas favors from my dad :P

http://m.ebay.com/itm/370959298270?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

That sure is a beautiful one, its making my 1955 Moss Green look bad. (Cords need to be rewrapped.)

I'd say you got a quite good deal, as with the average shipping being 12.35 minus 45.00 its a 32. some odd dollar phone.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on December 07, 2013, 10:36:47 AM
That sure is a beautiful one, its making my 1955 Moss Green look bad. (Cords need to be rewrapped.)

I'd say you got a quite good deal, as with the average shipping being 12.35 minus 45.00 its a 32. some odd dollar phone.

Ben

I still am jealous of your '55. It's one thing to find a hard to find phone on eBay, but it can be a lot more satisfying to find one in an antique shop like you did.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Well, I agree, though something like what you got on eBay was pretty amazing.

Something like my 500 p/u, you could never find it on eBay for the deal I got on it.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Something about an antique store find that you don't get out of eBay. No other bidders, no snipe bids, no high bids, no watchers, it's just between you, the phone, and the price.
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Regarding the cord colors on Moss Green, I have a 12/57 with green cords, both of which are stamped IV 57.  In looking at it, I see something else interesting.  The ringer is stamped (into the metal) C4A IV 57, instead of the standard red ink month-year.   I know they went to the metal stamping QQ YY later, but I don't think I've seen one this early.  Also, both bells have the washer on the screw.   I'm very confident it left the factory that way as this is the probably the nicest 500 I have, almost NOS with every part matching.  Sorry, getting a little off track, but I took the cover off to look at the strain reliefs.......
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Hey, if the post regards an early green 500, it ain't off topic to me ;).
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Thanks Christian...   I will admit that Moss Green is a favorite of mine.  I have two (the other is a '55 with gray cords) and I bought a b-day phone ( a nice green 591 with a frequency ringer) for my brother-in-law as a gift.  It is displayed proudly (and used occasionally) in their home, but it was hard to part with after I restored it...... :D
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Both phones just came in the mail today. The 1956 is in rougher shape than I first thought. A big crack on the back of the housing, several tears in the grey cord, really yellowed handset caps, and a 1973 line cord.  >:( Good news on the 1955, though. Handset cord has only one tear, no cracks or breaks anywhere else on the phone, no yellowing or fading anywhere, and through all of the scuffing and minor wear, I see a real beautiful phone :) Except for the flaws in both phones, they are both keepers :D I will post pictures later.
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Christian,

Sorry to hear about the cracked housing and other issues on the 7-56 set. Others may have suggestions of how to handle this, but seller failed to disclose obvious defects. He said, "This phone looks to be In good condition but untested." In fact, it's only a parts phone (mounting cord, 7C dial, G3 handle, C4 ringer, T1 transmitter, U1 receiver, 283B plug).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2013, 05:34:30 PM
Christian,

Sorry to hear about the cracked housing and other issues on the 7-56 set. Others may have suggestions of how to handle this, but seller failed to disclose obvious defects. He said, "This phone looks to be In good condition but untested." In fact, it's only a parts phone (mounting cord, 7C dial, G3 handle, C4 ringer, T1 transmitter, U1 receiver, 283B plug).

No matter what it takes, I'm gonna get this phone restored and on my display shelf. :)
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Christian,

That is some bad luck, if the seller didn't show the crack or talk about it you might want to contact him. If you want though, I could take the 1956 off your hands.

Then again, my shop is piled with phones..

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Thanks, it was given to me by a good friend.

It has 2 cracks which I repaired, though I think I'm going to work on them again till I don't see a difference in plastic height. It is a bit discolored on the handset caps like your green 500, as you describe.

Ben

Contempra

Anyway Ben i would like to have this pile at home :D ..no money, no candy..