News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which phones have the coolest ring?

Started by EdPDX, September 27, 2016, 03:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdPDX

Over the years I have heard some cool ringtones. The crank-up German phones that were still in operation when I lived there in the early 60's were enough to rouse anyone to heightened alert. The cool warbles from our spacesaver 183, and later the Ericofon we had in the 70's were memorable. The iconic ring that put "Jack" into action on 24 was counted pretty cool, and my own .mp3 I made up for my cell when my son calls- the opening riff of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir, with it's building beat is pretty sweet.

I'm probably like many of you though and dig the sound of any real ringer.

Still, I have to ask, are there ringers that really jump out at you- or just make you jump the way a Klaxon does?

andre_janew

I once had a neighbor, who just happened to be a construction worker, and he thought the AE80 had a cool ringtone!

19and41

I really want to hear what those formed wire bells sound like.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

Quote from: 19and41 on September 27, 2016, 09:38:56 PM

I recommend a You Tube video.....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

dsk

The bigger bells makes a more comfortable ring than the smaller, if they are tuned to a "clean" high and low note. I have not heard the wire bells, but they could give a nice tone, and long lasting resonances after the ringer stops.  The ringing frequency may also give different feeling of the ring. Both 20 and 25 Hz is OK but lower and higher feels less comfortable.

On the other hand, just to hear my own cellphone from others, my ring tone is a recording of the terrible TA43PT ringing.

dsk

twocvbloke

My mobile's ringtone is currently the default Samsung "Over the Horizon" piece of music, though on my Cubot Z100 phone, I do have it set to use a ringtone that I haven't a clue what it's from, it's titled as "Bell Phone", but sounds more like a doorbell (not the "Ding dong" type), could be a telephone, but doesn't sound like one...  ???

I used to use a sound clip of a GPO 706 from telephonesUK as my ringtone for a few years before I started buying real telephones, kind of got lost in the ether though as I changed mobiles...  :-\

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on September 27, 2016, 09:38:56 PM

This short video of the formed wire "gongs" in use was posted in another topic.

Personally, to my much less than high end hearing ears, I think the sustain is too loud and interferes with the ringing. Almost makes it sound tinny, or like something is loose. But keep in mind, I can't hear much over 8KHz so I miss out on the fine, upper frequencies and as such and can't appreciate the full range value of these wire gongs.

https://youtu.be/cMwA4_neqsU

Pourme

Speaking of cool ring tones....not long after I got my first 'smart phone'....I chose what I thought was the very cool retro brass bell RING! of the rotary phone. One day not long after I was standing in line at the local Wendy's during the lunch rush and I heard the loud sound of "RING! RING RING!!"....As I reached in my pocket to answer what was obviously, my phone, I noticed 2 more middle aged men doing the same...all 3 of us scurrying to answer our phones. It wasn't mine and I changed my ring tone to something more exclusive as I ate my burger that day...
Benny

Jim Stettler

The first downloaded phone ring I heard was a princess phone. I was standing in line, heard the ring, recognized it as a princess and looked around to spot the owner....  I laughed to myself when I realized the owner was a big biker guy in full (outlaw) riding gear
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Quote from: Jim S. on October 01, 2016, 09:37:44 AM
The first downloaded phone ring I heard was a princess phone. I was standing in line, heard the ring, recognized it as a princess and looked around to spot the owner....  I laughed to myself when I realized the owner was a big biker guy in full (outlaw) riding gear
Jim S.

That made me laugh out loud!... I can just see that.....
Benny