News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Collection Cataloguing

Started by Pourme, October 01, 2016, 02:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I have searched the forum several time and didn't find any thread that discussed the cataloging og one's collection in any detail. I have decided to begin the process of doing so. Not that my collection of about sixty phones is that large, especially compared to a lot of the other members here. that is all the more reason for me to begin now, before it gets so big that cataloging becomes so big a task that I won't have the energy to begin.

I was thinking about insurance purposes, as well as if something should happen to me, my wife will have some idea as to the value of each piece as she liquidates the collection.
I now feel empathy for what Dewey must have felt as he created his decimal system.

I have started by making a inspection of each piece, at my leisure, and record all the relevant dates, color and notes of anything worth noting about that particular phone. As a logical extinction of the cards, when they are complete I have purchased a largely outdated Rolodex to transfer the information to to keep on the bench as a quick reference when needed. I thought the use of a largely obsolete Rolodex would be appropriate tie in for a largely obsolete product.

Eventually, I plan to enter it in the computer via Excel? There may be a better program?

A numbering system is one of the issues that I can't decide on. (Wish Dewey was still around to consult) How to group say 500's together, or 302's together, because I will surely be purchasing more 500's or 302's as time goes on. One would want to include parts of the collection that are not proper phones, lamp phones, PBX, Jim Beam, Avon phone decanters, antique phone toys, you get the picture.

What have you done in this area. What are your plans to do so? Thoughts?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

I was planning on doing that once.  I got some software from ebay. You could modify it    for different collections.
It may of been this seller.  I contacted him regarding the software and he suggested using the collector plate database and modifying it.

Bottle-Collection-Image-Management-Database-CDROM-for-Windows-7-8-10-XP-VISTA

It was a nice database, but I never followed thru on developing it. That was a couple of computers ago.

Jim  S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

There have been a few discussions on how to record phones and produce lists. I believe there are a few forms, print & digital to assist. A search should turn them up.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"