News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Majestic working again.

Started by Greg G., October 16, 2014, 02:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Got it fixed, but I need to get better reception.  Finally found a tech in the area who would diagnose and fix this 85 yo radio for a reasonable cost.  Of course, it sounded much better in his shop, no doubt due to a number of factors such as location and interference from various sources, so I need to rig up a better antenna. Right now all I did was take a long piece of telephone station wire and hooked it up just to check it out.

Sorry the video is kind of dark, but it's the sound that was important.  I have other pics of the radio here if you want a clear picture of the cabinet.

http://youtu.be/TYuf6Fe9qco
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

Radio antennas are easy to make, you just have to measure out the right length of wire or metal rod to suit the radio band you're after use too short or too long a wire and it won't work as well as expected, I made my own indoor TV aerial with a couple of lengths of solid mains copper wire, didn't work well initially but I later found that the wires were too long, so trimmed them down to the right length to suit the local TV transmitter's band and it's been flawless ever since, but it also helps that I live about 2 or 3 miles line-of-sight from the nearest transmitter... ;D