News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring WE 202, 5H Dial, E-1 and 684A Subset

Started by gands-antiques, February 14, 2017, 04:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

I've wired this 202 and 684A to the 102 202 and subset diagrams document and the only way I can get a dial tone and to make all of the functions work is to add another jumper from dial Y to dial BB or from dial BK to dial BB.

The black subset cord conductor was not connected to BK on the small subset terminal block when these pictures were taken but it is connected to BK now.

For testing a couple of handsets, I haven't routed the handset cord through the hole in the back of the base yet.

Any idea where I have wired the set wrong?

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

I can't see which jumper is which. Do you have one jumper going from BK on hookswitch to Y on dial? And the other one from W on hookswitch to BB on dial?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

Besides the standard jumpers between switch W to dial BB and switch BK to dial Y ...

The only way I can get a dial tone and to get all of the functions to work is to jump either dial Y to dial BB (picture #1) or, I can jump dial BK to dial BB (not pictured) and everything will work. 

I am jumping only one of the dial jumps to get everything to work...not both

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

You should not have to add an additional jumper (from dial Y to dial BB. nor from dial BK to dial BB).

Here is one way to start troubleshooting, eliminating the dial, the hookswitch, and the 4-conductor mounting cord (from the subset to the D1):

Temporarily Connect the handset directly to the subset as follows (Temporarily disconnect the 4-conductor mounting cord from the subset.)
White (receiver) to GN on induction coil
Black (transmitter) to L2-Y on induction coil
Red (common) to R on induction coil

gands-antiques

Thanks Poplar,

I connected the handset directly to the subset coil as you said and now I did get a dial tone but it won''t break dial tone or dial out.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Moving one wire at a time:

1. Move the white handset wire to W on dial. Connect the green mounting cord wire back to GN on induction coil.

SUBSET:                                   HOOKSWITCH                              DIAL
                                                  CONTACTS:                            CONTACTS
    GN<----------------------->GN------X-----W<-------------->BB----/-----W<--------------------RECEIVER
            (green conductor)                                      (jumper)                               (white conductor)

(Edit: For now, leave the red handset cord connected to R on the induction coil, and the red mounting cord disconnected from the induction coil. Also, leave the black handset cord connected to L2-Y on the induction coil, and the yellow and black mounting cord conductors disconnected.)

gands-antiques

The white handset cord wire is already connected to W on the dial and the green mounting cord wire is already connected to GN on induction coil.

poplar1

So you now have dial tone, without the added third jumper?

gands-antiques

No, still no dial tone without the 3rd jumper. 

The white handset cord wire was already connected to W on the dial and the green mounting cord wire was already connected to GN on induction coil.

When the third jumper is connected the E-1 reception is loud and clear but the transmission volume level is very low.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Adding the third jumper (the one with aligator clips) is not the right solution. This would short out the handset. (Red dashes indicate the third jumper, since connecting the 3rd jumper to BB on dial = same as connecting it to the W receiver wire, and connecting third jumper to BK or Y on dial connects other end of jumper to BK of handset.)

rec   
---W-----------------()
|                              |
|                               |
|              R-----------. common
----BK----------------()<
                                xmtr

gands-antiques

Correction....I did get a dial tone when I connected the handset cord wires directly to the subset.