News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on November 17, 2012, 09:31:16 AMI still don't get why people can't let lamps be lamps and phones be phones....

I wonder if anyone has destroyed a lamp to turn it into a phone? ???

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 17, 2012, 09:34:01 AM
I wonder if anyone has destroyed a lamp to turn it into a phone? ???

Something there rings a bell. Someone not too long ago posted something along that theme, a lamp turned into a phone. That's all I can remember.

Terry

paul

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: paul on November 20, 2012, 03:53:33 PM
Another lamp crime
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290816420740

I wonder what sort of fiend would sell an abomination like that ;D

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: paul on November 20, 2012, 03:53:33 PM
Another lamp crime
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290816420740

Oh gwad, I'm just sick! 
QuoteThis is very cool
No it's not!
QuoteWhat better lamp to have in your phone display than a Phone made into a Lamp?
Just a regular lamp would be infinitely better. 
QuoteThis is NOT a working phone!
Well yeah, not now!  Reduce the price to $10 and I'll buy it just for that dial, never seen a QZ one before.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

old_stuff_hound

QuoteBakelite is in outstanding condition

Except for those huge holes drilled in it!

Greg G.

I'm not sure if this is the same guy I pleaded with not to do that to phones some time back, but the style looks the same.  I hope this was just an ITT and not a WE.  

http://tinyurl.com/anz6ksk
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

I guess some people will not be happy until they have destroyed everything someone else finds appealing, using a working vintage rotary phone to dissect and turn into s lamp is just wrong, and takes more of what we're looking for off the market...  :(

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 22, 2012, 03:27:24 AM
using a working vintage rotary phone to dissect and turn into s lamp is just wrong, and takes more of what we're looking for off the market...  :(

I've had that same thought for a while now. It would make sense to separate out the lamp phones from all of the other hideous phones into their own page. I'd bet there are a lot more out there because more and more are surfacing and most of them without bulbs, harps or shades meaning they haven't been used as a lamp in quite some time, but finders see they bring money on eBay.

twocvbloke

Maybe they've been going through a few of those crates a week to come up with such insane vision as to what to do with vintage stuff... :D

TelePlay

Now, this is different. I've never seen one modified this way. Kind of destroys the phone look. They could have just bought a lamp down at Sears or Target or Walmart instead of wasting time and a stick to do this.

It comes with a harp, shade and bulb making that BIN $100 price plus $15 shipping a real deal  ;).

Seller states it's a "1900's Western Electric Co. American Tel & Tel 323 Candlestick Phone Lamp Tole (tin lamp shade)."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300823197810

Question, does that look like an original receiver, or a repro? It seems to have no markings.

Western Electric

Why Do they do this  :(
Makes me SICK!

They do the same thing with old tv's
Except they turn them into fish tanks
BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY
         NOT FOR SALE
       Western Electric

kleenax

Here's an ALL-TIME great "Phone-Lamp Atrocity"! 

The LAMP on the table in front of us:
Found it at an antique shop in Lancaster, PA while attending the June show there. No kidding, it is (or was I should say) a Western Electric #10 Candlestick! If you can believe it, I got it for $85.00....

That's me seated, with Jon Katz on the right. Check out the original Colored AE Model 31B in Mahogany with Gold trim along with the Jade Green 1A.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

ReneRondeau

I found this treasure at a local antique store a few years ago. For once, the maker mounted the lamp by using a bracket behind the phone and didn't drill through the top. Aside from two screw holes mounting the base of the phone to the wooden lamp base, and the usual polishing off the nickel, the phone was left intact.

Best of all, it was cheap.

Doug Rose

Rene.....it is a beauty!! What is the name and city and state on the faceplate. Can you post a closeup of the faceplate. Great find!!...Doug
Kidphone