News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

This one is on Etsy for $135. The seller description makes it seem like he recovered a 565, not restored, phone. Nice touch with the lit hold and line one buttons. For some reason, this one doesn't disturb me, as long as I believe the seller's comments on the phone before recovery.

"1970 holding on line two...

Back in the mid-70s my Navy dad was assigned to the NROTC program at the University of South Carolina. During the summers I could go to work with him and I vividly recall two things about those days: 1. My dad could burn up a typewriter with his typing skills. 2. His black multi-line rotary phone with those blinking buttons that I could never quite figure out.

This old phone takes me back...

We recently found this old relic in rough condition, hiding out in retirement with major internal injuries. My USC days forced me to haul it to the studio where it has been cleaned and refitted with all new electrical parts that will allow it to live out its days as a lamp. The handset features two UL recognized candelabra sockets with frosted globe bulbs. We have also added a clear flashing candelabra bulb inside which blink the red hold button and the second clear line button.

FUN STUFF!

All bulbs are easy to replace and are controlled by an in-line rotary switch which is part of the new cord.
No power runs through the coiled phone cord! It is wrapped around flexible lamp pipe and is only decoration. Standard telephone size.

NOTE: This is a 1970 telephone that has been used and abused. You are buying the character wrought by its years of trustworthy service."

http://tinyurl.com/bbqhrda

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on January 09, 2013, 07:11:49 PMNOTE: This is a 1970 telephone that has been used and abused. You are buying the character wrought by its years of trustworthy service.

I'd still prefer the phone to be a phone, after all, a phone is useful, be it as parts or as a restoration project... ::)

AE_Collector

At least it isn't an early round button 564 Key Phone in Mahogany....

Terry

Dave F

Quote from: TelePlay on January 09, 2013, 07:11:49 PM

NOTE: This is a 1970 telephone that has been used and abused. You are buying the character wrought by its years of trustworthy service."

http://tinyurl.com/bbqhrda

I suppose it's better than ending up in a dumpster but, as a keyset lover, it still makes me queasy.  Excuse me, but I really have to look for that bottle of Pepto Bismol.....

DF

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dave F on January 10, 2013, 12:32:29 PMExcuse me, but I really have to look for that bottle of Pepto Bismol.....

Hopefully that hasn't been turned into a lamp-bottle... :D

Western Electric

Quote from: bingster on May 07, 2009, 10:32:10 AM
I was speechless when I found these:

THAT IS A REAL BLUE 302 :'( :'( :'( :'( >:( >:( >:(

<edit> From this same Topic back on Page 1, Reply #5 (or click the link below to go there) - Terry

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1000.msg12326#msg12326
BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY
         NOT FOR SALE
       Western Electric

George Knighton

Quote from: Western Electric on January 12, 2013, 10:43:54 AM
Quote from: bingster on May 07, 2009, 10:32:10 AM
I was speechless when I found these:

THAT IS A REAL BLUE 302 :'( :'( :'( :'( >:( >:( >:(

Yes.  Very depressing.

I have an Ivory and an Old Rose, and it looks like it's not too hard to get a Green and a Pekin Red....

But, Blue....  It looks like I'll have a very hard time finding one of those.

Annoying and upsetting to see one used like that.  :-)

I guess if you own something you can do whatever the hell you want with it!
Annoying new poster.

twocvbloke

Then you send a link to an ebay auction for a non-lamped one to the seller to show how much money they lost in the process of drilling holes and trashing a rare phone... :o

TelePlay

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, oooooohhhhhhhhhhh!  :'(

"Truly unique one of a kind piece. This Western Electric Co. Imperial 202 phone was made in to a workable lamp."

D'oh!

And wasn't that a solid white handset?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360567585499

paul

Quote from: TelePlay on January 17, 2013, 08:54:44 PM

"Truly unique one of a kind piece. This Western Electric Co. Imperial 202 phone was made in to a workable lamp."

D'oh!

That same seller has, among 5 other just fine phones, an "unmolested" Imperial for sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130836898499
I would have to give this seller the benefit of the doubt that he was not the converter of the 202 Lamp, maybe it was acquired as part of a lot.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on January 17, 2013, 08:54:44 PM

D'oh!

And wasn't that a solid white handset?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360567585499

My Imperial came to me as a lamp.  The handset was drilled through, the entire plunger assembly was missing, the contacts from the 5J dial were missing, and the wires were snipped off of the handset cord on both ends.  The gold finish was in mostly excellent condition though.

Larry

Adam

Posted today to eBay.  This set isn't as rare as a 202 or a candlestick, but it looks like it was a nice set and red is my favorite Western Electric color.

Ouch!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170978969805
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

twocvbloke

If they had listed that red phone on ebay UK, they'd have gotten a lot of money for it, cos for some reason us brits love red phones... :D

claudioggs

This was my found today in Craiglists

see below the attached selling text :-)
Let me know if you want the link (may be you want to buy it to reconverted...)

Claudio

2 matching table lamps. The base of the lamp is an actual rotary phone that works. The light part has a nice beige lamp shade. This would be a good way to show your children a part of the past. I am asking $50.00 a piece or $95.00 for the pair.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm an Argentinean collector guy, living in Philly.
I have some old mobiles - Motorola 4500X, Motorola "brick"
old phones - 1930 dial argentinean phone, WE 233G
old jukeboxes - Rowe bubbler, Rock-Ola Max
old wife - Sophie from France :-)

paul

I've seen those lamps before. Those were constructed as phone lamps. I doubt there's much original to recover from them. The handsets and cradles they rest on appear to be an intercom type (hard to tell from the picture), designed to hang alone with a handset, not removed from any phone. The guts could be anyone's guess. Maybe even surplus design line ones from that shiny dial they have.