News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

10 Button WE 1500 Factory Refurb

Started by Doug Rose, December 09, 2017, 02:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found the Factory refurb of a 10 Button WE 2500. In outstanding condition. It is now modular. Dated 9 64 Illinois Bell. ...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice find, Doug! In a weird sort of way, these are pretty collectible.

It looks like your touchtone pad had all the buttons replaced (later "oper" instead of 10-button era curved "operator"). Where did someone have the patience to do that?!? Anyone who has taken apart a WE touchtone pad, replaced the buttons, and put it all back together without any binding knows what I mean!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Shouldn't this be WE 1500 not WE2500?

Terry

Jester

If you open Doug's picture of the base, notice the white tag over the model number declaring it as a 1500DM.  Considering what Christian observed with the replacement keys, it's curious that the * and # keys weren't dropped in, instead of using the plugs, which would have truly converted the set to 2500 specs.
Stephen

poplar1

Wasn't it the 25W3 dial that could be converted from 10 buttons to 12? This 1500 has the earlier 25A3 dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AL_as_needed

Very nice find! It is pretty interesting that the dial pad was not upgraded in the referb, especially considering they went to modular. My '70 2500 is a 12 button but retained its hardwire cord.
TWinbrook7

zenithchromacolor

I have several 1500 and 1554 phones that have been refurbished like that (I actually just bought a green one like Doug's at an estate sale). Was there any cost difference to leasing a 10-button set instead of a 12-button set?

Many of my 10-button sets have the plastic buttons degrading, they form small cracks and turn a lighter gray color. I haven't noticed this so much on newer 12-button dials. That may be the reason for replacing the buttons when refurbishing the dial.

poplar1

Quote from: zenithchromacolor on December 11, 2017, 06:34:48 PM
I have several 1500 and 1554 phones that have been refurbished like that (I actually just bought a green one like Doug's at an estate sale). Was there any cost difference to leasing a 10-button set instead of a 12-button set?

Many of my 10-button sets have the plastic buttons degrading, they form small cracks and turn a lighter gray color. I haven't noticed this so much on newer 12-button dials. That may be the reason for replacing the buttons when refurbishing the dial.

The early buttons were made of a different type plastic that degrades.

Illinois Bell apparently kept refurbishing 10-button phones, even converting them to modular like this one. 10 buttons were sufficient for lines served by a #5 Crossbar Central Offices (5XB), or Step-by-Step office that had tone converters. Pressing the * or # on a 5XB line would give you reorder tone (fast busy).

I'm guessing that Illinois Bell probably did not install 10-button sets on ESS lines. However, early ESS feature codes allowed "11" to be dialed in place of "*" so that rotary phones (or 10-button sets) could be used:

*72 or 1172 for Call Forwarding
*73 or 1173 to cancel call forwarding

*74 or 1174 to set up 8-code speed call list

(11 still works on my 5ESS line)

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ldj1002

Here is my 10 button phone. It hasn't got the spots for the * & # key like yours but it has a modular card. Has it been refurbished and changed or did someone put it together from parts? looks like engraved 11-66, was that the build date? What might be under the black just above that? It also has a printed date of 10/75. If refurbished then is that the reason for modular plugs

Jester

Your phone is a factory refurb.  The white stamping 1500 DM is the verification.  The M in that stamping stands for modular.  If you check the bullseye date stamping inside the housing, I'll bet youl'll find the year is the same or close to the one stamped on the base.  You are fortunate to have the cover for the 10 button on a refurb done that late.
Stephen