News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1937 302 or something else?

Started by captroosh, December 14, 2021, 09:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

I saw this for auction but I don't have the keen sight of many of you here. No one is billing it as a 1937 302 Unfortunately there were no pictures of the back directly so I could look and see if it had the vents. The E1 Handset is what caught my eye. The other thing I noticed is the dial has the curved OPERATOR not Horizontal and no Z but the pictures of a real 1937 I saw, did. There are no shots of internals either. What would be a good price for this. Obviously if it's a real 1937 I know it's valuable. Can anyone tell by these pictures? What would someone pay for this if it isn't? Thanks.
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

FABphones

Nice, but I see what appears to be a none metal shell and a cradle with damage to rear right (zoomed in image below). :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Also, the base shows 3 bump outs for the ringer, coil and capacitor, the ringer mount with 3 rivets (not 4 like the earliest bases) and screwed on feet.

Here's a link to poplar1' s 302 date range topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg125729#msg125729

Based on the mouse holes, looks like plastic to me. Might be a mixture of parts over a period of years. Just a guess without more photos.

Here is a 1937 base, one bump out for the ringer only and 4 rivets for the ringer mounting plate

This is the 3 bump out and 3 hole ringer mount "newer" base dated 1951.

Here is a good image of an early 302 base plate with one bump out for the ringer, 4 rivets for the ringer mount and riveted feet

The next iteration was 2 bump outs, screwed on feet and 4 rivets for the ringer mount

and then the 3 bump outs, 3 rivet ringer mount and screwed on feet

You can find the base plate information here

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg126528#msg126528

The subject phone of this topic has 3 bump outs, a 3 rivet ringer mount and screwed on feet. The images above do not include all variations of the base plate as the phone was up-engineered over the years by WE.

MMikeJBenN27

Many sellers nowadays are putting E type handsets on every 300 series they get ahold of, trying to fool buyers into thinking that they are worth more than they really are.

Mike

LarryInMichigan

If the E handset is in very good condition, it is likely worth more than the 302 under it.  Black plastic 302s can be found frequently for $15 or less.

Larry

poplar1

E1E handsets (with 625A transmitter with F1 unit) were acceptable for residential service as late at least 1955. So some 302s were remanufactured at the WE Repair Shops with E1E handsets.

Dial looks like a 6A since it is not flush with the housing. In any case, it is 1945 or later because of the short finger stop.

164A number plate with curved "operator" is backward compatible with 2-, 4-, or 5-type dials.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

captroosh

I have to say you guys are the best. I figured that it couldn't be a1937. I wasn't sure if it was plastic. I did see the damage but we unclear to me if metal or plastic. I started bidding on it thinking the E handset might be worth the purchase. Bid is up to $43+ 17 shipping. Unless that's a good price for the handset I'm gonna take a pass. Thanks again all.
Capt. Roosh.

LarryInMichigan

There is an early 302 on ebay now for cheap: ebay link.

Larry

Babybearjs

I've been watching the prices, its interesting to see that you can still get a 302 for less than $25.00  they value at $200.00 when properly taken care of...
John

captroosh

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 26, 2021, 03:57:34 PM
I've been watching the prices, its interesting to see that you can still get a 302 for less than $25.00  they value at $200.00 when properly taken care of...
I have been fortunate to have 3 of them in reasonably good shape. None are int but they work and shined up pretty good. I have one Manual I meal with Dial and one Bakelite with dial. Having seen so many at bargain basement prices I have doubts that they would be worth near that. But then again. I'm relatively a Novice at this.
Capt. Roosh.