"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just won a wonderful manual AE35 on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, October 30, 2014, 07:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Doug,
         I found the parts for the dial card. You will have to trim down the narrow  number card and clear celluloid as you know everything else is too big. This number card holder you need is 1.600" and the rest are 1.675". This is the only I have. Hope this helps. stub       ( left click on pics to enlarge)
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

thanks Ken....I thought I was losing my mind.....well, the jury is still out on that! I know I have had these in the past, but the North, Kellogg and SC are very similar. I will keep an eye out .......Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Congratulations on your AE35, Doug!  It took a trained eye to spot that phone.  Thanks for the education.  Another excellent addition to your collection.  It will look great with new carpet. :)

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis.....I was really lucky. Just logged on to eBay and it was just listed. I couldn't tell from the pics if there were cracks or dirt. I love bakelite as it is so easy to work with....BUT so brittle and I was more than nervous the EIGHT days it was in the mail.

As for the carpet.....I know it will look better as this is original from when we took the roof of the house and went up 12 years ago. My room isn't that bad but the bedrooms, especially my daughters room is a mess. Collateral damage as my room will have to be done to match. Just what I need for the Holidays!!
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I have "good news" and "not quite so good news".

I found 3 or 4 AE bakelite dial blanks but none of them had any form or card holder nor a hole through the centre for a screw. For what ever reason that is how I recall most of these older dial blanks here. The dial blanks for AE 80/90 had card holders but not the blanks for AE 34/35/40/50 etc.

I have a bag of AE finger wheels and card holder parts and pieces so I went through it but all of the card holder rings were the same normal type for AE dials. Then I remebered getting another bag of AE dial bits and pieces back in about 2000 when they finally closed down our refurb shops along with our wood/plastic/metal and electrical shops. I made numerous reconisance trips in and out of there as they slowly cleaned the place out before the bulldozers arrived.

I (surprisingly) found that bag which I did recall it having some "odd" number card rings in it and I am going to declare BINGO because I am virtually certain that the ring Doug needs to finish his number card holder is one of the FORTY THREE of them that I found in this bag.

The only down side (the not quite so good news) is that they are all bright chrome and I know Doug wanted brass. They might be brass underneath, they arent ferous metal and while they might be alluminum, that wouldn't seem like a first choice metal to chrome would it?

I noticed that Doug stripped the black paint off the handset parts exposing the brass but for a valuable phone like this, I would be tempted to have the brass chromed as that was the an option on the type 38 handsets just like on the type 41 handsets. Then this ring would be perfect on the phone.

Terry

AE_Collector

Hey, check this out posted by wds in the AE Dial Identification topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5867.msg70510#msg70510

Quote from: wds on November 29, 2011, 07:32:34 AM
Here's a picture of the ring that holds the number card in place on the #23 dial.  GG, can you post a picture of your dial?  Sounds like someone may have switched the #23 fingerwheel for an earlier one.  Or maybe you have a GPO version of the mercedes?

(I copied the picture over as well....down at the bottom of this post)

Looks like the same ring used for the number card on a type 23 dial may have been the ring used on these bakelite dial blanks. It seemed odd to me that AE would design a completely different ring for a dial blank when they could have found a way to use the same ring that the type 24 and up dial used. This is why, the ring already existed.

And from GG's follow up post:

Quote from: GG on December 01, 2011, 12:28:45 AM
Dave, on the one I have (and the other one like it with a black fingerwheel), the disc shown in your photo is what's in the dial center, but with a round-head screw and without a retainer ring.  However it fits the same retainer ring as AE manual dial blanks.

Maybe I've found a market for my nice shiny new chrome rings! Though there can't be many Type 23 dials out there. They were the first AE dial with the more familiar looking AE number card and holder and the last of the smaller than 3" dials before the Type 24 came out likely only one year later.

And thanks to Stub for posting the pictures initially. They helped me determine that the rings I found are the same as these.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice, Doug! It looks great with the dial blank, don't change it! :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

thanks Christian....I love the manual sets and this will stay manual....with some great help from Terry...Doug
Kidphone

Kenton K

Hey Doug, do you still need a retaining ring. I bought a few blanks and I believe they fit yours. The outside diameter is 1.60in. They are black, but they are brass underneath.

KK

Doug Rose

thanks Ken...I have two on the way from Terry. I do appreciate it...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received my plunger set and the dial ring from Terry today. Looks tremendous. Thanks to all that offered help. This is a working phone. How cool is that. ....thanks Terry...you made my day....Doug
Kidphone

Steve

Nice score! and the price was right too. came out looking like new.

where do you guys get the Avon skin so soft? haven't had them ring my bell in decades.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

TelePlay

Quote from: Steve on November 28, 2014, 09:13:59 PM

where do you guys get the Avon skin so soft? haven't had them ring my bell in decades.

Here's a link to a picture of the stuff. Search eBay for Avon skin so soft and you'll find many sellers and sizes. Look for a good price.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4758.msg60632#msg60632