News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1970s Sculptura phone doesn't ring - New member - first post

Started by recyklotron, July 19, 2012, 01:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyklotron

I think I may have a trimline in storage & the bell part of your instructions seems pretty straightforward. I haven't a clue about how to add/change the capacitor, though! Does it simply go to the A & K terminals?

Thanks for your help,
             Jonathan/recyklotron

poplar1

Yes, it goes to the A and K terminals. If the one in the phone is open then it won't have to be removed. Just connect the new one to A and K.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

recyklotron

Yesterday we tried to go to a RadioShack that is listed on their site but wasn't actually there so I came home capacitor-less. Today I 'excavated' a trimline phone as suggested & removed the bell.  I hooked it up & voila - the phone rings! My first success - thanks to paul-f & poplar1. Do I still need a new capacitor ?  RadioShack carries two different .47uf caps. For future reference is one appropriate or will either work?
Now comes the hard part - getting the phone back together...
Thanks again . I really appreciate the assistance.

Jonathan/recyklotron

poplar1

It appears that you won't need a new capacitor since replacing the ringer fixed the problem.

I'm still surprised that, since the coil reads OK on the meter, there is a problem with the ringer. It must be something mechanical. Has anyone else seen a similar problem with P1A (Trimline style) ringers?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.