News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I have a hunch, just a hunch...

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 13, 2014, 09:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Really great find, Christian!!  That shows what a careful eye can uncover.  I vote for the two-tone look with a black G-1 and cords.  Someday you may find an m-blue handset for those caps too.  There is a two-tone m-blue here on the forum somewhere - I think Dan found one and posted a pic.
Paul

DavePEI

Wow, Christian!

What eagle eyes! At first I had my doubts, though of course I was hoping for you. But I was wwwwwwwrrong (as Fonzie used to say). You were right. Its going to be beautiful!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys! Maybe by tonight after school or tomorrow, the housing will have soaked long enough. I'm noticing a big difference in the softness of the paint, it's chipping off easier since I last checked it.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Matilo Telephones

Great find and awfulley well spotted.

Hope it turns out beautifull, once you get the paint off.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

AE40FAN

Congrats Christian.   Please update us and let us know if you were successful at removing the Polane with the LA technique.  BTW, you have an awesome DAD!

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WesternElectricBen

Awesome, it will look great with a black dial and cords.

You'l just have to find a med blue handset, you could even use an 80's model one, until you get a real 50's one. The aqua soft plastic handset will come in handy later..

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

I think I'll just use a black handset for this project. In fact, I even have one that matches the base date exactly, 9-56. BTW, I took the housing out to see how far it's come, and I can now scrape pieces of paint off the housing and the plastic isn't softened at all. I think I just beat Polane at its own game 8).
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Well, that will work, but if you ever find a handset...

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Yeah, I should ask around. If anyone comes across a med blue handset that they will never use, or if they already have one in their parts box just "Loitering", please let me know.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is another "During" update. So far, I have finished transforming the chassis to two-tone, using all 1956 parts. I added a black dial, with a mechanism dated 8-56 and a med blue color code stamp (-57). I found an optional coiled cord dated 1956 on one of my other phones (don't worry, I'm getting a straight cord for that phone), and a 9-56 handset with 10-56 caps. I added a black line cord, but it has no dates on it at all.

I've made quite a bit of progress with my housing, taking it out of the Totally Awesome solution every half hour so that I can chip a little bit more paint off. At this rate, the phone should be finished sometime this week.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Looks good, I'm glad you are going to make it an almost dates matching phone!

Is totally awesome a product or is it just a "totally awesome concoction?"   ;)

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 23, 2014, 10:06:15 PM
Looks good, I'm glad you are going to make it an almost dates matching phone!

Is totally awesome a product or is it just a "totally awesome concoction?"   ;)

Ben
The brand is either "Ala's Totally Awesome", or "La's Totally Awesome", but I meant to say "'La's Totally Awesome' concoction".
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Oh,

Well I was just trying to give you a hard time, anyways.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Oh, ok, now I see what you did there ;D.
Christian Petterson