News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ok A.E. Monophone experts, what is it?

Started by BDM, March 22, 2014, 01:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Trying to figure this one out. For some reason W.E. candlestick base comes to mind. The handset is something, well something. I've seen this style handset but cannot place the make. I'm also laying in bed and too lazy to go and look it up right now. Anyhow you A.E. experts, educate me. I have my own ideas but will keep my mouth shut and compare notes. BTW love that finger stop. Turn that dial too fast, and it will be some time before you properly dial again :o

http://tinyurl.com/lqlu6os

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Phonesrfun

It's weird.  I don't think that's a 1A base, but I might be mistaking.  The dial is for sure interesting.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Not 100% certain but I'm going with Phoneco product utilizing their reproduction AE1A cradles. Not certain about the base but isn't that a Kellogg handset?

Terry

Kenton K

I'm pretty sure that base is a reproduction WE candlestick base. I have no idea what the handset is though, leich?

KK

poplar1

Yes, Leich handset: first photo from this auction, then on a Leich 901.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

base and cradle repro, more modern AE dial possibly from a type 80-E set, leich handset. Not from COT,we used nicer dials and different cradles.Most likely Phoneco

TelePlay

Sold for $51.78 plus $14.99 shipping with 6 bidders offering 18 bids (of which 8 were from a rookie bidder placing 8 minimal bids in a row an hour before the auction ended).  :-\

Scotophor

Quote from: TelePlay on March 30, 2014, 10:14:12 AM... 6 bidders offering 18 bids (of which 8 were from a rookie bidder placing 8 minimal bids in a row an hour before the auction ended).  :-\
Not every instance of such multi-bidding with minimal increases is necessarily from a rookie bidder. Believe it or not, at least one 3rd-party bidding service or software (usually used for last-seconds sniping) is programmed to place bids in exactly that way. Why? My guess is that whoever programmed it is a moron. ;) You can usually tell if the bids are automated, if they're all separated by nearly identical (brief) time intervals.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

TelePlay

Quote from: Scotophor on March 31, 2014, 01:42:51 AM
Quote from: TelePlay on March 30, 2014, 10:14:12 AM... 6 bidders offering 18 bids (of which 8 were from a rookie bidder placing 8 minimal bids in a row an hour before the auction ended).  :-\
You can usually tell if the bids are automated, if they're all separated by nearly identical (brief) time intervals.

Didn't realize that. That may be the case in some of these run ups. I was thinking it was someone hitting the "one click" bid until they reached the top bid set by the then winning bidder to see what the current maximum is/was without putting in a much higher than needed bid to expose the top bid at that point in the auction. In this case, the 8 bids were placed a good 20 minutes before the auction ended.

I would think those bidding services would just go in with the max bid set by the bidder a very short time before the auction ended. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never used them so don't know how they work, or how they can be set up to work. But, I've seen this minimum bid run up on many phones and a lot of the times shortly after the item is listed. If that's how they work, then, yes, they were programmed by a moron, and that may be giving them too much credit . . .  ;)

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on March 31, 2014, 08:02:05 AMI would think those bidding services would just go in with the max bid set by the bidder a very short time before the auction ended. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never used them so don't know how they work, or how they can be set up to work.

The auto-bidder I use does that, usually 6 seconds from the end it'll place my maximum bid, and if the previous bidder's max amount was lower, then ebay only goes up by about 50p to £1 depending on the value of the item at the time... :)

If other programs are bidding in increments miles before the end, then yeah, that's pretty poor programming, and results in less bargains for the users, unless it's the sellers attempting to shill-bid, but that's just conjecture... :)

Slal

Designed to detect reserve if seller's min bid < his reserve?

Never understood 'hidden' reserve as business model, but obviously it must work. 

TelePlay

Alright, this post is about the current Auction Contest #115. There is a day left in the auction. It started this day at $64. About 6:30, one bidder made about 16 or 17 consecutive minimum bids until the top bid of whomever was high at $64 was reached, just short of $100.

There is about a day left in the auction so why run up the bid that way, unless it was the seller trying to maximize the sale price - and risking winning the phone. It's not the same buyer who did this with the phone in this topic. I've seen this before and it puzzles me. I've always chalked it up to a stupid bidding practice by a rookie buyer. It could be that but it could be something else, as  mentioned above.

Any other ideas as to why this happens, or someone does this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261424509772

twocvbloke

Can't really say for sure, but it could just be someone intentionally bidding up the item (I'm guilty of that) to make the buyer pay more, or it could be the seller borrowing someone else's account to shill-bid, or it's just a complete muppet who doesn't quite "get" how ebay works... ;D

BDM

In any case. Some poor sucker is stuck with a real "piece" or the shill-bidder won his own item.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

TelePlay

For posterity, in case someone reads this post in the future and might wonder what we were talking about, here is the bid history for this "piece" of workmanship . . .  ;)  Seems e***e really wanted the phone, or some part of it.