News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

N.O.S. 10/54 W.E. 500

Started by Dan/Panther, April 14, 2010, 12:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Here is a nice Black 500 N.O.S. with box.
One question, is it normal for the frame to have a different date than the Network on a new phone. Frame is 10/54, the network is 9/54. I realize only one month different, but would you call this a 9/54, or a 10/54 ?
I'm only posting this auction because it seems a little high priced, and I'm curious about the dates.

D/P

http://tinyurl.com/y22klq7 ( dead link 03-07-22 )

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

It's a beautiful phone!

I've seen a lot of early 500s and it seems quite common for component dates to be off by a month or two.  The earlier the set, the more likely there's a difference.  I have seen several 1950 sets that have 4 or more months difference between the base plate marking and network.  As volumes ramped up and inventory control got tighter, the dates got closer.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jester

D/P,

It seems that a difference of one month between the network and the base plate were a common occurence in 1954.  I have two colored 500's with this same arrangement, & Dennis & Jonathan have said they have similar examples.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

Fully Matching dates are a bonus. If the line is running "hot" all the parts bins get topped with the current parts and the dates end up matching. If production was slower, the parts bins start running low and the bottom parts got used.
This is probably also related to shift. I suspect 3rd. shift probably had the most mis matched sets. This is due to the parts lines not running.

I think most matched date phones were done an busy production days and most were from 1st shift. They just grabbed the parts as they need them. newest parts were on top.

Also if a parts line went down, then the bins got empty. The old parts on the bottom would get used.
This is just my guess, But I have always figured that this is the way it happened.
Just my guess,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

I've been watching this phone for a while now, if I had the money just burning a hole in my pocket it'd be hanging out at my house now, watching the telly and calling for more chips.  But as it is the price is a little steep, sure is pretty though. 

Jim Stettler

McHeath,
It is over priced. Save you chips and go to a telephone show. That is where you get the best bang for your buck.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

Talking about factory work is making me both queasy and inspired.  I hate working at the plant some days, but boy how I'd love to be working in a plant making 500's!!

Quote from: Jim S. on April 14, 2010, 01:07:11 AM
Fully Matching dates are a bonus. If the line is running "hot" all the parts bins get topped with the current parts and the dates end up matching. If production was slower, the parts bins start running low and the bottom parts got used.
This is probably also related to shift. I suspect 3rd. shift probably had the most mis matched sets. This is due to the parts lines not running.

I think most matched date phones were done an busy production days and most were from 1st shift. They just grabbed the parts as they need them. newest parts were on top.

Also if a parts line went down, then the bins got empty. The old parts on the bottom would get used.
This is just my guess, But I have always figured that this is the way it happened.
Just my guess,
Jim
- Tom

jsowers

Quote from: Jester on April 14, 2010, 12:53:44 AM
D/P,

It seems that a difference of one month between the network and the base plate were a common occurence in 1954.  I have two colored 500's with this same arrangement, & Dennis & Jonathan have said they have similar examples.

Yes I do have several like that, with dates a month apart. They range all through the 50s and sometimes you see dates like that when the phone was made at the end or beginning of the month. I too have a mental picture of those parts bins like Jim does and I bet they were huge.

Jonathan
Jonathan