News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Contempra Issues

Started by Pvt-telco, May 18, 2017, 11:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pvt-telco

There are still some issues that I need some tips on, the schematics that I have seen have for this telephone have 3 switchhook wires on them and mine have 5.The issues are when I hook a ringer into it, any ringer meant for this phone that is, it shorts it out and then the telephone does not dial out at all and i am thinking that there are some of these extra wire that are not hooked in the right place? And the network is a QNB18A any help would be appreciated thank you.

poplar1

Fig. 11 shows 5 wires for hookswitch:
As in a 500, going off-hook connects L1 to F and L2 to C.
On-hook, L2 connects to L3.

As in a 500, ringer connects as follows:
black to L1
Red to L2
red-slate to A
Slate to K
Does your ringer have 4 wires?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

Gregg  ....   What's the specific model of your Contempra ?    I have a number of schematics in a Bell Station Installation & Repair Manual, and I can probably post a scan of your specific model.

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

Gregg ...   H1QAX is the handset model or type.   Normally Northern, like Western, printed the type or model number on the very bottom of the set.     I've attached a copy of Northern Telecom Practices 502-321-910CA_1D compliments of Telephone Collectors International Technical Library.     In it is a schematic for a Northern "QSK100AX" Contempra.       Have a look at the component connections and see if they match your set along with the number of conductors etc., etc.
In the meantime I'm going to scan the schematic for a Northern "QSK100A" which is equipped with an H1QAX handset and a QNB18A Network.      As soon as it's scanned, I'll post it.

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

No problem Gregg.     Look in that last attached TCI Library document, on page 429.      The schematic for your set is listed there.    Trace your circuits from that and see if you can correct the issues your having.     It appears to have the correct number of component conductors and network from what you've mentioned in previous posts, so if nothing is defective, it should get your set up and working correctly.

I scanned a QSK100A, schematic, but it's not going to be the correct one, so I didn't bother to post it.

Jeff