News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 295L subset?

Started by Sargeguy, September 23, 2012, 03:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I was at a flea market in Mansfield CT today and found this diamond in the rough for $15:

The wiring schematic is gone, the condenser looks bulkier than the standard type.  Its missing a few terminals.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

I don't know what the L signifies, but I think this is a 295L and not a 293L. 293 has a hookswitch and when transmitter and receiver are added forms part of the 1293 wall set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

SargeGuy's gonna KICK himself for making that 293/295 mistake again. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is getting OLD!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7602.0

Terry

Sargeguy

I'm only 45.  Its all those hockey pucks to the head from my youth! ;D
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I dug the 295L out from under the bench and stripped it.  It had 2 layers of paint cream, then red) on it and blue paint drizzled on the inside.  The red came off easily but the red was a little more stubborn and required sanding.  I got to use my new Fein MM 250Q to good effect.  I recommend using the soft sanding pad and sandpaper, especially the finger sanding pads, over the standard pad.  I coated it with some Restor-A-Finish (TIP put the Restor-A-Finish in a salad dressing squeeze bottle, it makes life easier) and it looks pretty good so far.  I think I try some shellac as the final coat, to keep things authentic.  Progress so far:  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I shellacked it with spray shellac, sanding it with 0000 steel wool between coats. I added a couple bells recently plated by dencins.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 12, 2013, 10:34:39 PM
I shellacked it with spray shellac, sanding it with 0000 steel wool between coats. I added a couple bells recently plated by dencins.

That's an impressive size, that hippo has been crushed by it...  :D

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Greg.  Beautiful restoration job!