News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coin line controller

Started by trainman, December 09, 2014, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Very interesting! Please, tell us more, as time permits.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Payphone installer

I have found the payphone controller software for omniphone payphone controller. I still have to pick it up and see if it works. It is called Phone tracker. Jim

DavePEI

My Omniphone Coin Pro and software arrived yesterday from Jim. Certainly looks interesting.

According to the software manual it appears that a rate table can be developed using the software, I haven't been able to run the software yet, as it requires not only an older computer with an RS-232 portand a modem, but also Win XP, and enough space to install both Windows .NET 1.1 and the management software itself. It looks as though whatever machine i use will need to have at least 100 megabytes of disk space.

I did try one laptop I have yesterday, but with both the .NET and the software installed, it wouldn't have had enough disk space. It may be a while before I get a chance t set it up, but I will report on it as I do!

Jim, don't forget to let me know what I owe you for postage. I will al so need your PP address to send it!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Update 2:

Update 2! I found another Toshiba laptop here with XP, a good size HD on it, and today set up first, Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, then SQL Server on it, and finally got Phonetracker running. I will have to learn how to use the program, but it looks as though it will be a success -  once I wade through the tone of information in the manual!

One of the tricky things about the installation, is it exits the setup program several times, first when it detects that it needs Net 1.1, and you need to download and install NET 1.1. Then, restarting the install program, Windows installs the SQL Server, once again exiting setup. Once that is done, you re-enter setup, and confirm that the SQL server is up and running, and finally it goes through all the other steps of the installation. You then have to create a database for the CoinPro setup.
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Great work, Dave!

Thanks for being out there on the cutting edge, blazing a trail for me!(and others)

Am looking forward to see how it works, it's already the start of a great tutorial that is sticky-worthy.

Hope all is well there in PEI for you both, best regards from KS!

PS: Of steadily increasing value to me, since my payphone collection just gained a 3rd from ePay! ;D More on My Collection page, hopefully later tonight... ;)

Bonedaddy
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on November 19, 2015, 09:11:21 PM
Great work, Dave!

Thanks for being out there on the cutting edge, blazing a trail for me!(and others)

Am looking forward to see how it works, it's already the start of a great tutorial that is sticky-worthy.

It will take a while to get familiar with the program, and to set up the correct files for the coin pro. The program manual is over 400 pages, but the bulk of the information on CoinPro programming is in section 10 of the manual, showing how to set up data files, SMDR, etc. etc. and other options.

Then one has to call into the telephone and the CoinPro unit via the model to update the information in the controller. So, as I discover more, I will share it both here, and on my Museum FB page. Hopefully, we will come up with a "magic" combination which will work for everyone. But for now, lots of reading, setting up rate tables, etc., something I have never done before.

But a major obstacle is now out of the way, getting the software operational!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

mentalstampede

Hey Dave,

Have you made any breakthroughs with the Omniphone Coin Pro unit? The "COCOT in a box" functionality to couple with dumb phones is quite intriguing.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

DavePEI

Sorry, nothing new!

Quote from: mentalstampede on May 25, 2017, 03:19:33 PM
Hey Dave,

Have you made any breakthroughs with the Omniphone Coin Pro unit? The "COCOT in a box" functionality to couple with dumb phones is quite intriguing.
C*NET 1-651-0001

Stubbypylon

I have one of these Omniphone Coin Pro units but didn't know how it worked as I have no manual. Is there one available?
Craig Stanowski

DavePEI

Quote from: Stubbypylon on May 25, 2017, 06:01:46 PM
I have one of these Omniphone Coin Pro units but didn't know how it worked as I have no manual. Is there one available?

CoinPro field installation guide:
C*NET 1-651-0001

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: DavePEI on May 25, 2017, 08:08:32 PM
CoinPro field installation guide:
What about the software to set it up?  Where is that available?

DavePEI

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on May 25, 2017, 11:39:32 PM
What about the software to set it up?  Where is that available?

Ahh, therein lies the problem. The original software was very well copy protected, and each copy had its own serial number is keyed to the individual CD. Rate tables are no longer available for it, so despite how great the features are/were, there appears to be no where to get it working.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: DavePEI on May 26, 2017, 12:01:53 AM
Ahh, therein lies the problem. The original software was very well copy protected, and each copy had its own serial number is keyed to the individual CD. Rate tables are no longer available for it, so despite how great the features are/were, there appears to be no where to get it working.

Dave
How about without rate tables as just a simple controller to enforce a deposit and dispose of the coin at the end of the call?
How many are there in private hands (Jim's stock) available for potential use by hobbyists?  I wonder whether there are enough to justify the effort of trying to hack the firmware.  What CPU/MCU runs it?  How much EPROM is there?

DavePEI

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on May 26, 2017, 12:15:07 AM
How about without rate tables as just a simple controller to enforce a deposit and dispose of the coin at the end of the call?
How many are there in private hands (Jim's stock) available for potential use by hobbyists?  I wonder whether there are enough to justify the effort of trying to hack the firmware.  What CPU/MCU runs it?  How much EPROM is there?

It would still require a rate table for even that use. That portion of its programming is controlled by the rate table. Alas, we can't even find a copy of any old rate table for it to be able to disassemble it to modify it. One needs to have the correct format before much can be done.

Yes, if one had the ability to read the code in the eprom, one might be able to come up with a kluge which would allow it to work. How many are around? You would have to ask Jim. I still hope to get mine running, if I ever get the time.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: DavePEI on May 26, 2017, 12:34:26 AM
It would still require a rate table for even that use. That portion of its programming is controlled by the rate table. Alas, we can't even find a copy of any old rate table for it to be able to disassemble it to modify it. One needs to have the correct format before much can be done.

Yes, if one had the ability to read the code in the eprom, one might be able to come up with a kluge which would allow it to work. How many are around? You would have to ask Jim. I still hope to get mine running, if I ever get the time.

Dave
Maybe Jim will see this and reply.

What EPROM and CPU/MCU are in it?