News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Middle States Telephone Co of IL

Started by MagicMo, June 16, 2013, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I was wondering about this phone/dial card. It states "Public Service Middle States Telephone Co of IL." I never heard of that Co before. Automaric Electric telephone. Does anyone know?
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

G-Man

Located primarily northwest of Chicago, Middle States Telephone was bought out by CENTEL which was purchased by SPRINT circa 1995. Part of their territory included O'Hare International Airport and they became entangled in donnybrook with Ill. Bell.

IIRC, at one point Middle States purchased expensive interface equipment for their Strowger equipment to allow subscribers to dial directly into Ill. Bell's panel switches. Both the TCI list and newsletter detailed the technical issues.

Some of the original areas include Des Plaines, Park Ridge.

Rosemont was served by both Ill. Bell and Middle States but eventually the city was able to convince the state PUC to force Ill. Bell's successor, Ameritec to trade property with Middle States to allow the community to be served by one, instead of two telcos.

MagicMo

Quote from: G-Man on June 16, 2013, 11:11:28 PM
Located primarily northwest of Chicago, Middle States Telephone was bought out by CENTEL which was purchased by SPRINT circa 1995. Part of their territory included O'Hare International Airport and they became entangled in donnybrook with Ill. Bell.

IIRC, at one point Middle States purchased expensive interface equipment for their Strowger equipment to allow subscribers to dial directly into Ill. Bell's panel switches. Both the TCI list and newsletter detailed the technical issues.

Rosemont was served by both Ill. Bell and Middle States but eventually the city was able to convince the state PUC to force Ill. Bell's successor, Ameritec to trade property with Middle States to allow the community to be served by one, instead of two telcos.

That would make sense because I bought this at an Estate Sale in Park Ridge today ($3). 

LarryInMichigan

When I was a kid back in the late 70s-early 80s, the service in Park Ridge, Des Plaines, part of Niles, and other nearby areas was provided by Centel.  Milwaukee ave in Niles divided the IL Bell territory from Centel.  Their service was really lousy.  Calls from IL Bell territory a few miles away frequently failed to connect.

Larry

G-Man

QuoteThat would make sense because I bought this at an Estate Sale in Park Ridge today ($3).

Ahh .. the luck of the Irish!

A nice instrument plus a super-nice number card!

Congratulations!

MagicMo

Quote from: G-Man on June 16, 2013, 11:25:14 PM
QuoteThat would make sense because I bought this at an Estate Sale in Park Ridge today ($3).

Ahh .. the luck of the Irish!

A nice instrument plus a super-nice number card!

Congratulations!

HeeHee. It was great! Everything was half off, it was marked at $6. I walk in and see this phone sitting on the "checkout" table thinking to myself, darn it, I missed it! I still had to ask if it was for sale and the guy collecting the money said, well I guess so, the lady never came back to pay for it. I was counting the cash before he could say another word. I finished looking through the house and found another phone for $2. As I was leaving I saw the lady who I think was coming back to pay for the phone.
I ran to my car.
I felt bad for about 30 seconds but then I thought, who doesn't bring money to an estate sale? Right? Lol
Mo

G-Man

QuoteHeeHee. It was great! Everything was half off, it was marked at $6. I walk in and see this phone sitting on the "checkout" table thinking to myself, darn it, I missed it! I still had to ask if it was for sale and the guy collecting the money said, well I guess so, the lady never came back to pay for it. I was counting the cash before he could say another word. I finished looking through the house and found another phone for $2. As I was leaving I saw the lady who I think was coming back to pay for the phone.
I ran to my car.
I felt bad for about 30 seconds but then I thought, who doesn't bring money to an estate sale? Right? Lol
Mo

My, My! Mo has really caught on to this collecting thing!

As a first class collector himself, I am sure your father is quite proud while watching down over you.

He certainly knew what to collect when the opportunity presented itself and I am quite certain he was very familiar with the phrase- strike while the iron is hot!

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on June 16, 2013, 11:14:50 PM
Quote from: G-Man on June 16, 2013, 11:11:28 PM

That would make sense because I bought this at an Estate Sale in Park Ridge today ($3). 

You mean to say you don't have enough phones?  Welcome, you have arrived!  Nice price for a nice looking AE 90, btw.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on June 16, 2013, 11:34:21 PM

As I was leaving I saw the lady who I think was coming back to pay for the phone.
I ran to my car.
Mo

If Anita and I are out together on a Friday-Sunday, we always bring our petty cash envelope with us for yard sales.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e