News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WESTERN ELECTRIC 500 DEMO DIAL STORE DISPLAY GREEN MIB

Started by Doug Rose, March 05, 2011, 10:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This auction made me curious. What do you think about this going for almost $160?....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190507018991&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
( dead link 12-07-21 )
Kidphone

Tom B

I was considering putting an offer in as I have a 500 base which is 1/57 throughout, and the dial is a 7C 51 for the moss green. But I don't think I'd have gone that high
Tom

Dennis Markham

I can understand someone paying that much for this phone if they collect the demonstration models.  One doesn't see too many of these.  It's more than I'd pay for it but I don't collect them.  I would hate to see it dismantled for use of it's parts--even if it sold for $10.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 05, 2011, 10:52:10 AM
I can understand someone paying that much for this phone if they collect the demonstration models.  One doesn't see too many of these.  It's more than I'd pay for it but I don't collect them.  I would hate to see it dismantled for use of it's parts--even if it sold for $10.
Dennis...my bet would be the latter. I am guesing this will be slipped on someone's existing phone. A very expensive cover indeed!...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

The buyer is an avid collector.  I'll bet it remains as it was intended.  Unless I read wrong and missed something, the seller wrote "Up for your consideration we are offering this great Western Electric 500 Demonstration Dial telephone in green with box".  So it doesn't say "new" anywhere.  That seems a lot to pay for parts when Green 500's, even from early 1959 are plentiful.  But I guess the only way we'll know for sure is to ask the new owner.  His name is on Terry's list.

Doug Rose

Dennis....I knew who it was by just his eBay code. He is no stranger to bidding on high end phones....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Kidphone on March 05, 2011, 11:22:20 AM
Dennis....I knew who it was by just his eBay code. He is no stranger to bidding on high end phones....Doug

You're right about that.  If you take a close look, he's all over the place in the telephone section.