News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Everone has gone 302/500 series nuts

Started by BDM, January 21, 2009, 11:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Man, all the threads on these series of sets has me staring at my collection. I'm 500 series weak, but 302 strong.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve

Keep your "lucy" hand strong my brother!
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

BDM

Ok, I'm too lazy tonight to take apart my 500 series phones. But, what are the dial types again? I noticed my date coded numbers matching 1953 500 has a nice quiet dial. But my numbers matching 56 date code has that gravely sound, as do several others. All the dial function fine and operate at almost identical speeds.

So, educate me again on these. That way I don't have to run off to Paul's site and read, nor take my phones apart. I'm such a lazy SOB ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

"Lucy" phone is a popular e-bayism to refer to Western Electric 302s.  Seems that the use of the 302 on I Love Lucy now means that it's a "Lucy" phone.  I guess we should call all candlestick models "Wonderful Life" phones since they are in that movie, or the 2500 should be the "Rockford Files" phone since that's what his message machine was hooked to. 

benhutcherson

Earlier 500 models had a 7A dial, which was a superb design that has a lot in common with the #6 dial. When properly serviced, they're nearly dead silent. I think that the 7A was used sometime through '54.

Later 500s had a 7C or 7D dial. There were some changes made, the end result of which was a not as robust design that gave the characteristic "gravel" sound. I believe the difference in a 7C and 7D was that the gear train in a 7D was press-fit together, and thus couldn't be taken apart and serviced.

On all #7 dials, the main plate is made from cast aluminum. The dial bezel is held in place with screws. Also, there's a thick post behind the finger stop which comes up through the dial bezel, meaning that the bezels for these dials have a characteristically wide fingerstop hole.

From the mid-60s on, the 9C dial was used. 9Cs have a lot of plastic, are not serviceable, but are very, very quiet and generally very reliable. Later on came the 9CAM, with even more plastic.

9C dials use a round three-pronged lock ring to hold the bezel in place, while 9CAM dials rely on three "lobes", as well as the finger stop, to hold the bezel.

McHeath

The dial in my 2003 Cortelco 500 is the quietest I've ever heard, nearly silent, and very smooth.  However it's rather stiff and takes some force to turn.

My 7A's are pretty noisy, they probably need to be cleaned and adjusted but it scares me to think of taking one apart.  :o

BDM

Quote from: McHeath on January 22, 2009, 12:24:59 AM
"Lucy" phone is a popular e-bayism to refer to Western Electric 302s.  Seems that the use of the 302 on I Love Lucy now means that it's a "Lucy" phone.  I guess we should call all candlestick models "Wonderful Life" phones since they are in that movie, or the 2500 should be the "Rockford Files" phone since that's what his message machine was hooked to. 

I know....Notice the winking smiley 8)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Ahh, thanks Ben for serving my lazy needs....lol....That explains why all my prior 1954 500 series are quiet. The later ones are like you say, gravely. I admit, I never liked that. It's a familiar sound, but I've still never liked it.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

QuoteI know....Notice the winking smiley

Oh, duh.  I shoulda seen that, well my excuse today is that it's late and been a long day.  

BDM

That's ok Heath. At least you're not lazy like me :-X
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Konrad

Maybe I don't know enough but some of the 500 prices on eBay just seem silly to me.

Dennis Markham

Only the later 7D dials had the pressed together gear train.  The ones from mid to late 50's still had the gear trains held together with screws.

Photos here of 7D from 1957 with screws:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.msg2467#msg2467

Then later 7D dials had the pressed together gear trains as did the final version with the cutaway corners at the top.  There was also a #8 series that had not quite as much plastic as the #9's.  The #8's are held onto the dial bezel with a circular clip with three bent contacts that rotate under a plastic notch on the bezel.

Bill Cahill

My 1952 with the wrong dial, the dial mechanism is held together with solid brass plates screwed together. It has that wide post, and, the piece of metal behind it to support it.
The black metal dial has a chrome plated ring in the center.
I'm insane for 500's, and, 302's.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

BDM

I must say, in all my years of collecting. I've never seen such fever for 500 series sets. Even the years I was on the collector clubs list servers. Me? I'm more of a candlestick/early cradle phone type guy. Though the 302s are a big love for me. I have quite a collection of those, though nothing really rare.

But, these 500 sets keep getting in my face. I'm afraid I'll start buying...........................................................................
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI