News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting hung up over something silly

Started by Phonesrfun, June 02, 2010, 02:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Back in college daze when I lived in the dorm I would invert the handset on my 500 just to be all wild and crazy and stick it to The Man. 

Other students would make mundane comments like, "Why is the handset upside down?" instead of praising me for raging against the system, striking a blow for individuality, and throwing off the shackles of conformity by my radical refusal to place my handset in the cradle the way it was designed. 

Oh those wild days of youth. ::)

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on June 02, 2010, 08:38:15 PM
a photo like that really drives an OCD person like me nuts.  :)  (no comment from you either, d/p)

Short Trip ? :D
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

d/p... :P

wow mcheath, you really were a h---raiser, eh ::)
donna

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
I always wanted to be part of your kinda crowd, but I was always afraid of getting in trouble, I can see now, I missed out on a lot of the real fun.
D/P

paul-f

Many years ago, when 554s were common fixtures in dorm rooms, a favorite prank on the liberal arts types was to sneak into their rooms, set the ringer to max, open up the housing and detach the plastic hookswitch tab from the cradle, so the phone was always on-hook, even with the handset lifted.  An after midnight call then caused all sorts of reactions when the phone kept ringing and ringing.

The trick was to get it back in order before the repairman got there.

(At least, they tell me that's the way it was done.  ;) ::) )
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 02, 2010, 02:07:51 PM
One more thing, I have a washer like yours and it has a secondary rinse and a few other adjustments, however it does not properly spin dry the cloths do you have any trouble with that ?
D/P

D/P, I recently ran into that issue with my girlfriend's washer which sounds like the one you have.   Repair guy came out and replaced the lid switch on it, and it solved the problem - but I'm not sure why?

Dan/Panther

BOP;
You know you are onto something, because when the lid is closed, the washer doesn't spin dry very well, but when I prop the lid open and make the switch myself, it dries. Maybe the switch is not adjusted and it barely makes and then interrupts during spinning.
Thanks maybe I can adjust it myself. Or at least buy the switch and change it, and save a couple hundred bucks.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Get the washer model # and call you local appliance repair parts store. The part is probably $10-20 and you should be able to reason out how to replace it. Most appliance repair houses can print you an exploded view of your appliance. Anyway, you are retired so you can make it into a 3 day task if needed.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

Thank you for that Paul!  Way to stick it to them liberal arts types!!!

Quote from: paul-f on June 03, 2010, 03:28:24 PM
Many years ago, when 554s were common fixtures in dorm rooms, a favorite prank on the liberal arts types was to sneak into their rooms, set the ringer to max, open up the housing and detach the plastic hookswitch tab from the cradle, so the phone was always on-hook, even with the handset lifted.  An after midnight call then caused all sorts of reactions when the phone kept ringing and ringing.

The trick was to get it back in order before the repairman got there.

(At least, they tell me that's the way it was done.  ;) ::) )
- Tom

rp2813

I'm sort of guilty of a similar practice with a 500.  Well, make that a 2500 or whatever the multi-line version of that one is.

In my youth, I worked at a large hotel and for a while I manned the on-site reservations office.  We had headsets to use if we wanted.  That required leaving the phone off-hook and turning a switch on the base to activate the headset.

We'd all lift the handset and rest it just in front of the cradle.  It's almost like Dreyfuss designed the phone to have the handset rest there, like if you had to step away and put the handset down, the 500's offered the user a convenient on-board way to do it.

I wonder if there's any documentation about this, or if it just worked out that way for the handset to safely rest in that off-hook position.
Ralph

LarryInMichigan

Ralph,

I am sure that the phone was designed with that intention.  The 2554 was designed so that the handset could be hung on the side of the cradle.

Larry

gpo706

I've been naughty too.

When I worked for my local council, we had push button 8746's two of them on facing desks, this was for the enquiry line, and the switchboard would run every general enquiry through to these two phones, the job was incredibly stressful, as soon as you put the handset down it would ring instantly, had to do 2 weeks on 9 to 5, two weeks doing something else.

Anyhow, I had a couple of "rescued" ones at haome and fiddled about, figured out if you can remove the tiny spring to the hook to stop it jumping up you could leave the phone on hook.

I had a  holiday coming up, and stayed late with a screwdriver in my pocket, guess what I did to them?

Another time we had a very drunken Christmas part and two of us crawled round under the desks to find the sockets and switched every single phone to the wrong extension.

In the process we managed to plug phones into computer sockets and crash the whole IT for my department...

Waiting for the cops at the door now...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

I think the slickest design I've ever encountered for convenience of use is the kellogg 900.
At first I wondered, WHY did they build those deep concave spots under the ends of the receiver. Then I found out why.
Really slick and convenient.
D/P

Phonesrfun

And here all along, I thought the purpose of those indentations was to double as an ash tray.

-Bill G

HarrySmith

Just found this on Craigs List, fits this thread perfectly!

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/atq/1785540772.html ( dead link 03-09-21 )

:D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"