News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay item 160772701595 - 1951 ivory 302

Started by deedubya3800, April 10, 2012, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

I just snagged this little cutie last week, and it arrove today. I plan to clean it up a bit, replace the handset handle (which is hairlined beyond hope) and use it. I think the dial alone was probably worth what I gave for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160772701595
( dead link 10-14-21 )

I've read several tips on here for bringing the color back, and I'm wondering if they would be safe for this plastic.

LarryInMichigan

I saw that phone and was tempted to bid on it (wanted to keep it here in Michigan :)), but I was scared off by the handset and break in the back. 

I have used peroxide on an ivory 354 without bad results.  The peroxide removed some red blotches and brought back some of the color..

Larry

deedubya3800

I have a spare ivory F1• handset lying around, and if I can get the color to match, I'll use it. The chip out of the back isn't too bad, and it's completely invisible from the front. I'll probably put a spot of glue at the top of it to keep the crack from spreading.

Doug Rose

If you are going to trash the handset, I'd be interested in it. PM me if you are looking to move it....Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet. Putting on my other handset, though, I've noticed that the discoloration isn't as bad as it first seemed, at least not on the front. The back doesn't look great anyway, so that's not too big a deal. The dial needed to be sped up a bit, but what surprised me is that the ringer didn't have to be rewired to work without a ground wire. It's hard to tell just how much use this telephone got as the wear and tear on it don't seem typical for a phone that was used a lot. I'd like to ask the seller what they know about its past.