News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Picasa Gone?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, August 18, 2016, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I've tried viewing several members' Picasa albums, only to get a 404 error from Google. It turns out that Google retired Picasa entirely, and any existing albums are now non-existent.

Is there a way to view those albums in Google Photos, Picasa's successor?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 18, 2016, 03:10:02 PM
I've tried viewing several members' Picasa albums, only to get a 404 error from Google. It turns out that Google retired Picasa entirely, and any existing albums are now non-existent.

Is there a way to view those albums in Google Photos, Picasa's successor?

From what I can tell, they're viewable only by the owner, who then has to create a Google Photos account to share them now. So send a PM to those members and ask them to create a Google Photos account and re-share their pictures and maybe they will? Here are some instructions that aren't from Google, so they may help them get it done. I've never been a fan of their instructions, from back when we had Gmail at work.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/how-to-transfer-photos-from-picasa-to-google-photos/2/

As far as trusting Google or Picasa with the only copy of my own pictures, not on your tintype, brother.  :)  Be sure and make a backup. Always have pictures in two places.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

All my photos are open for viewing. Here is the link:

https://goo.gl/photos/LrujhgjedM7ct9YRA

Let me know if you can see.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 18, 2016, 04:16:18 PM
All my photos are open for viewing. Here is the link:

https://goo.gl/photos/LrujhgjedM7ct9YRA

Let me know if you can see.
Yes, your pictures are viewable.

BTW, I see some promise in your Corvair (assuming the first 7 pictures are of your truck)! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

That was my truck. Unfortunately I was forced to sell it. I had finally finished the drivetrain rebuild, engine transmission & differential. I left it at a dealership after I quit and it was stolen. I could not afford to replace & rebuild another one so I sold the truck. Did you notice the Bell South markings? It broke my heart to get rid of it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Thanks for this information.  I have several Picasa albums that I'd still like to be available to everyone.  I'll have to look into this.

Dennis

Dan/Panther

That is EXACTLY why I advocate ON SIGHT PHOTO HOSTING. Can you imagine IF Photobucket goes under ? I would even help support any cost to host, I have no problem with a $5.00 yearly dues to belong to the forum, in fact I recommend it with or without the on site photo option.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Dennis, I had not realized the change until it was brought up here. I simply went to my Google photos page and made the albums available, that was it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"