"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help!: Funny H3 304 switchook

Started by Kenton K, October 10, 2014, 12:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

Hello,

This switch hook came from the red 304 I am restoring and I am stumped with this switch hook. All the switch hooks on 304's I have seen on diagrams and in real life (4-5) have had triple pole single throw. Or, three contact pairs that make when phone is off hook.

The one I have has two contact pairs that make, and one contact pair that breaks. I can't seem to find a wiring diagram that matching this design. The contact pairs that break are slate-red and green-red. If I wired it like a regular 304, wouldn't this disconnect from tip?

I'm looking at the C38.555 for diagrams.

Thanks-Ken

Babybearjs

this witch is normal for the 304, 354. the induction coil is a 101B, not an 101A. look under the western electric wiring schematics in the TCI library and you'll find the right schematic. the phone can be wired identically to a 302, and you'll have an extra pair of switch hook wires, these can be use for A-Control on a key system setup.  If you want it as a single line on a regular phone line, then wire it identical to the 304/354 schematic. on mine, I substituted the induction coil for a 101A and wired it like a 352/302. and then used the 3rd switch hook pair for the A-Control on my Key telephone system. but the wiring schematic is in the library and the phone will work when wired as described in the schematic. also, on a 354 wall phone, you can attach a 228A modular adapter plate to the phone to make it up to date.
John

Kenton K

Shoot! I think I was reading the wrong diagram. I think I got. Thank you.

One question though. On this circuit, the boxed contacts will break, right? The wouldn't it disconnect the talking circuit from the line?

-Ken

poplar1

The diagram shows three sets of make contacts. The "creative" person who painted the red phone black apparently rearranged the contact springs so that one pair would open when hanging up.

If you connect the red green line wire directly to RR, rather than to the L1 L2-Y terminal on the separate block, then this third set of contacts is bypassed. In fact, many of the 304s rewired for individual lines by the WE repair shop have the line connected to RR and nothing connected to M. (RR on a 101B IND is equivalent to the L1 terminal on a 101A.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

You are correct that they all should be the make-type.
As stated, the pile-up has been modified after WECo custody.

For use as a 302, you need two make-switches if you want to protect your ears from loud pops.
It shouldn't be hard to reassemble the pile-up in the correct sequence.

unbeldi

Here are pictures for the switch, one with color annotation.

Kenton K

Thanks guys. I dissembled and reassembled the pile up. I did have to bend some of the springs to make it all work. And I also made sure that the hearing circuit contact break last.

Thanks-KK