News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two AE 34s

Started by Doug Rose, September 15, 2015, 07:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won these awhile back on eBay and they came today. They are in wonderful condition and I want to turn them back into manuals sets. Any one have any idea what type retainer ring was on these. There is a small hole and then I imagine it secured through the middle where the button was placed? Anyone have the retainer rings for sale or trade? They arrived packed exactly how I asked, all the way from the left coast with no damage at all. This will be a great winter project....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321856696130
Kidphone

wds

I think these were the two I was watching.  The bottoms didn't seem right - do they have the correct ringers in them?  Nice pair of phones! 
Dave

AE_Collector

Nice score Doug!

Yes ringers are a big question, especially having been used as intercom sets.

Think the number card would be pretty similar to the retainer on the 3" AE dial but uses a metal backing plate with as you said, a small screw through the centre into the bakelite dial blank.

Terry

Doug Rose

Terry/Dave....I have a mental health day today and plan to open them and check them out. I couldn't pass up two 34s for a bargain price.

Terry.....do you have anything I might be able to use on these beauties?....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Being a pair for the same purpose, I would leave them the way they are, but replace those cords, and reimplement whichever functionality they had in this configuration.

Do they even have a ringer at all?   It's hard to tell, but is that a button or a red light (or both) in the center? ok, seems it's a button, by the other pics on eBay.

Doug Rose

The shells are perfect as are the working handsets, but the insides are stipped with just a door bell type bell inside. Bummer!   :-[
Kidphone

unbeldi

I almost expected that.  The buttons were to activate the low-voltage buzzers.
How are the handsets wired to the mounting cords?  Is there any kind of hybrid or are the three or four conductors of the handset simply brought out to some controlling unit?

Doug Rose

Three conductor as it should be. Both worked when I brought DT to the Line Cords. Disappointing...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Puctures of inside?

While these may have been modified by anyone, AE did supply anything that someone would buy that was based on their products so they could have been equipped as they are now by AE.

Terry

Doug Rose

Here are some pics, the handset was wired as it should and the line cord as it should ....buzzer was wired to two handset leads.....I can make two nice display phones or hope fro an AE34 dumper or two to show up...Doug
Kidphone

cloyd

You know Doug, if you loved me you would give me one of those handsets!   :-*
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

unbeldi

There appears to be some kind of piece of paper tucked under the bell, a circuit perhaps?

Doug Rose

Tina....I would happily trade one of these for yours all covered with paint  ::)

Karl....good eyes....I had to remove that great bell  :-[ to get it....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

But I will be selling this handset, but not the phone as I don't think it belongs on the phone..Doug
Kidphone