"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wanted Green Western Electric 685 or 687 Ringer box

Started by Watertown2017, March 29, 2018, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watertown2017

Hello Folks!

I am looking for a green Western Electric 685 or 687 ringer box with molded green plastic body to attached to my green Western 233.   If you have an extra to sell please let me know.

Thank you

HarrySmith

I don't think they came in colors. Usually mounted below the shelf in a phone booth away from the phone or in a household, on the baseboard, so they did not have to match.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Sometimes the payphones were mounted on the wall, with the subset mounted (vertically) on the same backboard. So the green and beige phones had matching subsets.

685As were also issued with Lt. Gray (--61) covers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Quote from: poplar1 on March 29, 2018, 05:36:55 PM
Sometimes the payphones were mounted on the wall, with the subset mounted (vertically) on the same backboard. So the green and beige phones had matching subsets.

685As were also issued with Lt. Gray (--61) covers.

OK, I stand corrected. I have never seen them in any color but black but I have been wrong before. Hence the disclaimer "I Don't think", that's only because I don't do it well:)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Watertown2017

I've been trying to find a green 685/687 for a very long time. I thing Western made 2 billion of those bell boxes in black, 250 in gray, and 9 of them in green.  I think the next step is the dreaded paint method. LOL