News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is there such thing as an original Strowger mouthpiece for a Strowger wall phone

Started by rfkimba, February 18, 2014, 05:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi guys,
I acquired a beautiful  wall Strowger with a WE bakelite mouthpiece and prefer an original Strowger mouthpiece. Was a standard AE bakelite mouthpiece used on many different early  phones including the Strowgers,  or did the wall and desktop Strowgers have a particular bakelite mouthpiece unique to these models?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

wds

Can you post a picture of the phone?  I'm surprised the WE mouthpiece would fit.  A AE mouthpiece is usually 13/16, and the 7/8 we won't fit.
Dave

G-Man

Since you did not provide details regarding your instrument here are a couple of random thoughts about Strowger telephones;
Automatic Electric was formed in 1901 by the Strowger Automatic Telephone Exchange Company. Earlier mouthpieces had an "S" emblazoned upon it.
Some of the first Strowger instruments were manufactured by Western Electric so consequently they had WECo transmitters and receivers. I believe that Gary Goff may have one in his collection.

G-Man

Also, how did you make the determination that it is not a Strowger mouthpiece?

Quote from: G-Man on February 18, 2014, 05:31:10 PM
Since you did not provide details regarding your instrument here are a couple of random thoughts about Strowger telephones;
Automatic Electric was formed in 1901 by the Strowger Automatic Telephone Exchange Company. Earlier mouthpieces had an “S” emblazoned upon it.
Some of the first Strowger instruments were manufactured by Western Electric so consequently they had WECo transmitters and receivers. I believe that Gary Goff may have one in his collection.

rfkimba

I determined it to be a WE mouthpiece by the central star and the slots perpendicular to the threading. On the reverse under the star there is no number  and letter designation fo 36k, 35f and 29O as on my other 3 WE mouthpieces.

rfkimba

Additional photos

rfkimba

Hi,
The phone was owned by Jim Aida 20 years before the current Fla collector who sold it to me.
Photos for our review.
Thanks,
Bob

rfkimba

Another photo.
A photo of the  transmitter and open Strowger cup is attached.
The transmitter doesnt look like the WE ones I have.
Thanks,
Bob

G-Man

Thanks for the photos.    When asking for assistance of this nature it is best to supply a detailed description and photos upfront.    That said, I have never had the urge to substitute the mouthpieces on our Strowger sets so I am not able to address their compatibility with WECo mouthpieces so someone else may be able to weigh-in.    As previously stated by WDS the AECo and WECo mouthpieces have distinctly different sizes.    Sometime back I posted a list showing the interchangeability of mouthpieces by the various manufacturers.  Notably Strowger is not listed.

Western Electric  (7/8 inch fine - 27tpi) compatible with-
Century, Augusta, Varney, Stanley, Monogram, Williams, Acme, Kusel< Leich (Fine), Wesco (Fine)

Stromberg Carlson (1 inch course - 18 tpi)  compatible with-
Baird, American, Eureka, Leich (Coarse), Monarch, Wesco (Coarse), Bucum, U. E. Co
Kellogg S&S (15/16 inch medium - 18 tpi)  compatible with-
North, Dean, Modern, Manhattan, Couch, Ericsson (Coarse), Utica Fire Alarm, Voight Berger, Sumter, Swedish American

Automatic Electric (13/16 inch fine) compatible with-
Chicago, Oxford, Sears Roebuck, Interstate, Wesco, Ericsson (Fine), Julius Andrea, Voight Berger (Fine), Standard, DeVeau, Montgomery Ward

Jim Stettler

The early strowger mouthpieces are large.
Quote from: rfkimba on February 19, 2014, 01:13:11 AM
Hi,
The phone was owned by Jim Aida 20 years before the current Fla collector who sold it to me.
Photos for our review.
Thanks,
Bob

The early Strowger mouthpieces have a large front  opening. Basically it is about the same diameter as the ring on the transmitter faceplate. The same mouthpieces were used on the early 11 digit sticks, including the earlier small transmitter style.
I think the thread is AE.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.