News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Potbelly Candlestick

Started by gotmusic328, July 23, 2014, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotmusic328

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I came across this phone recently at an estate sale. I have been looking online for what i could find on it without a lot of luck. I put it on eBay last night and it has generated a lot of questions and offers.
The only markings on it are:
FRONT OF THE MOUTHPIECE: AMERICAN TEL & TEL CO  337  PAT USA 114 13 323 15
BACK OF THE MOUTHPIECE: PROPERTY OF THE AMERICAN BELL TELEPHONE COMPANY.
Can anyone tell me a little more about it?
Thanks!

dencins

Nice candlestick.  I can not tell you much but a couple of observations

1.  The switch cover is missing and the switch hook does not line up with the switch contact so the switch will not work as is.

2.  Potbelly candlesticks are early candlesticks but this one has a 337 transmitter which would be later than the potbelly so the transmitter is not original.  The 337 is an insulated transmitter and the potbelly candlestick is uninsulated. 

Dennis Hallworth

Kenton K

I also doubt the reciever is original. I would believe it should be an outside transmitter contacts. But it could be right given that the switchook is a later type with holes in it.

Just my uneducated opinions.

Ken

LarryInMichigan

This phone may have some issues, but the bidding is already going through the roof!

Larry

dencins

I found pictures of a Western Electric #3 potbelly that looks like this one.  It has the telescoping shaft like this one.  The same phone without the telescoping shaft is referred to as the San Francisco potbelly.

Some info here:

http://antiquetelephonehistory.com/wepot3.html

I was wrong about the switch cover  - it did not appear to have one.

Original would have beveled face plate with 7-digit number and a long pole receiver.

I suspect this one is just getting started on ebay.  These do not show up very often and this one is in pretty good shape.  It should go for a good price for the seller.

Dennis Hallworth